The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 12, 2005, 01:50 PM   #1
ScubaSteve

Taurus PT 145 Ammo

Im looking to find out info from anyone who has a PT145 on the type of Ammo they use. I mainly use Winchester 45 Automatic 230 gr. USA Full Metal Jacket for practice, but experience a few jams with this. Has anyone had this problem? What ammo works good in this weapon?

Thanks
Old July 12, 2005, 08:02 PM   #2
butch50

I have a PT-145 (not pro). I shoot 230 gr FMJ (winchester white box) at the range and have Federal Hyrda-Shocks in 230 grain loaded for SD. I ran a couple of boxes of the Federal Hydras thru it to see it there were any feed problems, and no problems.

I have not had a single malfunction with either of the rounds.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old July 12, 2005, 08:52 PM   #3
CougarRed

If I recall, the manual says nothing heavier than 225 gr in the PT-145. It may void the warranty to shoot 230s, I don't know.

With a 3.25" barrel, you probably want a lighter round that goes faster anyway.
700 fps from a 230 gr (as tested and confirmed by GunTests and GunBlast) makes me a little nervous.
Old July 12, 2005, 10:00 PM   #4
butch50

The maunal does say something about using less than 230 grains. But, this is for SD, and I will only be shooting it at the range once in a blue moon now that I have proof tested it.

This is a great carry gun, but it is not what I consider a target gun or a plinker. Not the type of gun that I am going to run more than probably 50 rounds a year through on average. If that.

If that causes problems with the gun then it is time to get something else anyway.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old July 12, 2005, 11:35 PM   #5
packa45

It's completely safe to use 230 gr. in your Taurus. I don't know about your specific model but when I get a jam with the WWB it's my fault and not the gun.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old July 12, 2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Dog Confetti

I use the Winchester white-box stuff and haven't had any problems at all. I've deliberately limp-wristed it to see how sensitive it is, and you've gotta be pretty limp before there's a problem.
Old July 12, 2005, 11:53 PM   #7
jonathon

What sort of jams? Check your feed ramp for being rough(common), or the extractor..
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old July 13, 2005, 07:33 AM   #8
AustinMike

I haven't had any jams in mine with probably around 1000 rounds. That's been mostly my reloads (230gr. RN) I've shot some PMC 230gr RN as well. Tried several types of defense ammo and settled on Speer Gold Dot 230gr. for carry because I like the feel. I've even run a couple boxes of +P *gasp* throught it. Take Taurus' ridiculous ammo recommendations with a grain of salt. That's just their CYA legal dept. talking.
Old July 13, 2005, 07:41 AM   #9
VirgilCaine

I too practice with WWB 230gr ball. For carry, I pack Federal Hydro's @230gr.
My piece is a Colt Combat Commander. Since i sprung for Wilson Combat mags, I've had no problems.
Old July 13, 2005, 09:37 PM   #10
stolivar

pt145

I shoot about anything in my gun for practice and carry remington 230 JHP in it. never had a jam

steve
Old July 15, 2005, 11:33 PM   #11
Dave R

I have not had a jam yet with:
-Wichester White Box (my favorite)
-Remington UMC
-Ultramax (AVOID AT ALL COSTS--serious soft lead leads to major bore leading)
-Handloads with Laser-Cast 200gr. RN and TiteGroup powder (no leading)
-Handloads with Speer 185gr. Gold Dots and Unique powder.
Old July 18, 2005, 09:51 AM   #12
tex45acp

1500-230gr Federal HydraShoks, 2000-230gr Winchester White Box. I want to try to make it break but the darn thing takes a likin and just keeps on tikkin!!
Old July 19, 2005, 03:18 PM   #13
denfoote

When I had mine, oh so long ago...

It prefered Remington Golden Saber.
It prefered GS right up till the frame cracked!!
But, it's been such a long time ago that I plum forgot the grain weight!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old July 19, 2005, 06:09 PM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
If I recall, the manual says nothing heavier than 225 gr in the PT-145. It may void the warranty to shoot 230s, I don't know.
The way I interpret what the manual says, is they are trying to give you the max load the gun will sustain with long-term firing. It says something like the max is 200gr. at 900fps.

I think that still means you could shoot a 230gr at 850fps or so...(although the fastest commercial load I tested in my PT-145 was about 700fps--you lose significant velocity in that short barrel.)

But that's only my interpretation. YMMV.
Old July 19, 2005, 09:34 PM   #15
Gary L. Griffiths

I carry 230-gr Hydra-Shoks in mine for serious social occasions. Otherwise, I shoot WWB 230-gr FMJs. Both rounds function flawlessly.

When my 145 was new, I had an occasional FTF, usually about the 3d shot. Cured that by putting a bit of Brian Enos' Slide Glide on the rails. Still use it, but the gun has worn in, and now is 100% reliable, even dry.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)