The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2005, 09:25 AM   #1
tjhands

Trouble priming Sellier&Bellot .45ACP brass...

Good Lord, this is some tough-assed brass to prime!! Is the primer pocket made smaller with this brand? Anyone else have trouble with S&B?
Old June 27, 2005, 09:43 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've noticed that they can be tighter, but nothing out of the ordinary.

You may want to try a primer pocket reamer or swager.
Old June 27, 2005, 10:00 AM   #3
m0ntels

I also have to swage most of my S+B brass. I just pitch it to the side and go do the pile when I get bored later on.

Randy
Old June 27, 2005, 10:17 AM   #4
Edward429451

What they said, or you could just not use that brand brass, or try a different brand primer.
Old June 27, 2005, 10:48 AM   #5
caz223

I relegate that crap to the circular file.
S&B and A-merc can keep each other company in the bottom of my trash can.
Old June 27, 2005, 10:54 AM   #6
tjhands

Thanks, guys. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.

Caz, LOL!!
Old June 27, 2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Send your S&B to me, then, CAZ.

I love the stuff. Very good quality.
Old June 27, 2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Mark whiz

Like everybody else said, S&B tends to be a little tight in the pocket. I typically uniform all my primer pockets with a reamer so it isn't a big problem. Also using primers other than CCI can help too, since they often seem tighter than other brands.

I've reloaded a bunch of .38Spcl S&B brass and for the most part it has been fine. I HAVE had several cases split almost their whole length after a couple reloadings (and no, they weren't hot loads or overcharged). In fact, I had a couple of the big splits using the factory loaded S&B rounds...........so obviously at least that batch of brass had a few quality issues. I would advise closely examining any S&B case before loading it - just to make sure.
!
Old June 27, 2005, 02:03 PM   #9
caz223

Quote:
Send your S&B to me, then, CAZ
*scratches head*
We've done this before, I think.
We decided that nobody had enough brass to make it worthwile to ship.
I can't save all the crap, space is *always* at a premium.
Really, mike. If I had enough to make it worthwhile, I would happily send you my S&B.
Old June 27, 2005, 02:18 PM   #10
tjhands

Actually, with the new Bulk Rate of $7.50 for Priority Mail, you could probably get close to 1000 round of .45ACP brass in that box.

........Juss sayin'
Old June 27, 2005, 02:43 PM   #11
Dave R

I agree with "try a different brand of primers." I have some S&B .223 that is tight in the pocket. I think it was tight with Winchester Primers, and fit better with CCI primers, but it could be the other way around. Its been a while since I loaded any.
Old June 27, 2005, 03:09 PM   #12
Edward429451

I don't trash brass, I have a 5 gal bucket going for reject brass...turn it in at the scrap yard. Deprimed is clean, higher scrap price. Turns around into a free 1K primers every once in awhile.

Just a thought.
Old June 27, 2005, 04:38 PM   #13
steveno

there must be a difference in brass lots. I have used CCI primers in the 45 acp brass without any problems. I have some 38 special cases with 6 or 7 loads on them and I haven't lost a one yet
Old June 27, 2005, 10:08 PM   #14
HSMITH

CCI primers and S&B brass for me have been a total nightmare, Winchester primers are slightly better and Federal primers make it almost workable. As such I file all the S&B in the circular file as caz does, life is too short to deal with crappy brass. S&B is terrible brass IMO, when I can get commercial brass that loads without a bit of hassle it just isn't worth dealing with the S&B.
Old June 28, 2005, 01:09 PM   #15
Superhornet

S&B brass in fact is comparable with any other bulk manufacturer, WW, RP, FED, etc. The trick is to treat it like military crimped rounds. I run it through an RBCS pocket swager and it will load up with any primer...and it shoots just fine.......IMHO.....I probably don't have as much loading experience as most of you, and have only been loading since September 18, 1949, but it works for me....
Old June 28, 2005, 03:02 PM   #16
BigSlick

Quote:
I probably don't have as much loading experience as most of you, and have only been loading since September 18, 1949,
You got me beat like a rented mule. I've been loading since 1984.

I use S&B in 45 ACP from range pickup brass all the time. I use both CCI and Win primers and so far haven't experienced any problems.

You do know Winchester farms out WWB production to S&B don't you ?

I won't say the brass is identical, because no two batches are identical, but take a look, it is VERY close now.

A lot of the old WWB is floating around still I'm sure, but there is definitely a differece between WWB brass from a couple of years ago to the current offering.

In any event, don't forget, it has been stated that Winchester is going to small primers across the line for 45 ACP around the end of the year. This makes sense, farm out the last few runs to a sub, while you rework inhouse production machinery.

Just a thought...

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old July 4, 2005, 09:49 PM   #17
gschwertley

S&B brass

Haven't loaded a lot of S&B brass in .45 ACP, but what I have loaded hasn't presented problems. BUT ... I must agree emphatically with Caz223 about A-merc. That goes in the scrap right away when it darkens my doorstep. It tends to be overly thick and you get "bullet bulge," sometimes to the point that it won't chamber in the smaller calibers. So it makes me wonder, why is it thicker, because it is softer? Also, if the brass is extra thick, is the bullet slightly smaller???
Old July 9, 2005, 09:05 PM   #18
mfree

"Also, if the brass is extra thick, is the bullet slightly smaller???"

No, but the gunsmith keeps a plastic mallet handy for beating the stuff out of our customers' $1k+ custom 1911's.

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old July 10, 2005, 12:36 AM   #19
CaptainRazor

Yeah, me too

I have found that S&B 45 brass is hard to prime, it's just like military brass to me, if I'm determined to use it, I run it through the swager and it work out OK.

I stopped using CCI primers a good while back because they are harder to work with, especially in military brass, even after it's been swaged.