The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 28, 2005, 10:10 PM   #1
Big Yac

Which gun?

I'm thinking of going back to school to become a sheriff deputy. I was reading over some info on the course I found on the net and noticed some guns they mentioned. They were 9mm, 40, 45 semi autos and .38 Special and .357mag revolvers. Now I like revolvers, especially big ones. I own a Ruger SRH in .454 Casull so recoil doesnt bother me. I'm wondering now, if I would get a revolver in .357 mag, which would be the best for this type of thing? What about barrel length, etc? The course doesnt begin until September so I figured I'd get the gun soon and get good with it. Even if I would decide not to go through with the course then I'd still have a cool revolver
Old June 28, 2005, 11:35 PM   #2
Sulaco2

Big. Your potential department will dictate what you can carry. Most likely it will be .40 SW or the like. Check with them an see what is issue or department approved.