The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 1998, 11:02 PM   #1
Rob Pincus

I would like to hear the forum's thoughts on NV devices in general.
Handheld, goggles, scopes, whatever.

Old December 17, 1998, 11:50 PM   #2
[email protected]
Wise Guy

What do you want to know about it? Do you have a specific purpose you are planning on using it for? The forum has lot's of people experienced with NV, but more specificity may get the answer you want faster.

One thing to keep in mind, regardless, is to stay away from the Russian NV, they don't have the same health laws that the other countries do... and your eyes may suffer for it.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com
Old December 18, 1998, 12:08 AM   #3
Rob Pincus

I am having dinner with a guy who owns an NV distributing company Saturday night. He deals in high quality, current technology stuff, including Thermal Imaging ($12K+/unit). Among other things, we will be discussing how he can better serve the marketplace and make more money.

I am looking for general thoughts and comments on the commercially available NV. Including how people are using NV, what people want from their NV, etc, etc.
Comments from LEOs currently using NV equipment would also be appreciated.

It is more of a survey question than a quest for specific knowledge.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-18-98).]
Old December 19, 1998, 01:39 AM   #4
[email protected]
Wise Guy

I'm not a LEO, nor am I currently in the military, etc, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

IMHO, people who want NV all want the same thing: being able to see just like they would during the day.

Failing that, they want something that closely approximates it, and they want it in a package that offers them the most versatility.

I'd like to see the new monocular NVD become more accessable to the general public, as this offers many different uses: head mounted NOD, weapon mounted sight w/ or w/o optical sight, and it can be adapted to cameras. Too bad the price is up there...

Clarity and resistance to flashing are big issues too, though the III generation devices are an order of magnitude better.

But, for me, the single biggest concern was: will it take standard batteries? Make it take AA's, it's bad enough that we have to pay so much for the device to begin with, having to blow a bundle on the batteries as well isn't cool.

Just my 2 cents.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
http://www.bladeforums.com
Old December 19, 1998, 04:55 PM   #5
Bushwhacker

I've always wanted nv but the cost....
You get my drift.
Old December 21, 1998, 10:02 AM   #6
Andy

The fire department I'm on is raising money to buy a thermal imaging camera. We had the dealer come to the station with one once and we got to play around with it. Pretty cool. I'd buy one in a minute if I had the $14000 sitting around. Maybe then I could find that skunk that's hiding under the boathouse It picks up heat really well and you can see in just about anything. Smoke, dark, snow, etc. The price is the only drawback.

Andy

Old December 21, 1998, 11:01 AM   #7
Rob Pincus

Andy, send me an Email. I can get you guys the latest, lightest Thermal imaging device on the civilian market for at least a grand less. (w/accessories, case, etc....)

Old December 21, 1998, 12:07 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Earlier this year I checked out Remington's NV monoscope. It's a 3rd gen. device and you buy an adapter to slip that puppy onto the objective eyepiece of your riflescope. Instant night engagement capabilities. Drool.

Drawback in the model I saw was lack of rubber coating for shock and waterproofing. Suggested changes to the factory rep. Other BIG drawback is the $5k price. Ouch!