The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 13, 2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Skeetin'870

How to remove forend on rem 870 express

How to remove forend on rem 870 express
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 13, 2005, 08:41 AM   #2
Edward429451

If you're talking about pulling it for cleaning, with the action bars still attached, you pull the barrel and then the forend slides off the front with the bolt riding on top the action bars.

If you mean seperating the wood from the action bars, it takes a little tool that inserts into the end of the wood and unscrews a retaining nut. I think its called a forend wrench. Brownells, 5ish bucks.
Old June 13, 2005, 02:09 PM   #3

A tad more than 5 at Brownells.
Old June 13, 2005, 11:22 PM   #4
rugerdude

Just give it a good tug ya' wimp!

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old June 13, 2005, 11:59 PM   #5
Nnobby45

All right you guys,

settle down. To remove the slide, reach underneath and push in on the left shell stop (latch) with the left index finger. Remove fore-end, along with the bolt (while still holding the latch in) which sits on top of the slide assembly which fits on the action bars on the fore-end tube assembly.

Condensed version: Just push in on the left shell latch and the bolt will come out by pushing forward on the fore-end. The bolt will then fall out and hit you on the foot.

To assemble, set the slide assembly on the fore-end tube (it only goes one way) assembly, and set the bolt on top of it with firing pin facing forward . Start it in and push in on the right shell latch, push the bolt in slightly 'till it stops, then push in on the left shell latch. Push bolt in more. Then push in on the action bar lock (on the trigger housing) and bring the bolt to the rear all the way. Put the barrel on.

Condensed version: start it in there and push the right shell lock, push a little more then push the left one while pushing evertything in until it stops. Activate the action bar lock (bolt release) and bring bolt all the way to rear. Don't force anything. If it doesn't go, start over. Any questions?
Old June 14, 2005, 12:14 AM   #6
Nnobby45

Cleaning

When cleaning my 870, I've found G96 Gun Treatment to be good stuff for squirting into the trigger housing to clean, lube and protect. Leaves a thin film. Especially when I don't feel like removing the side saddle to remove the housing. I use Gun Scrubber to clean things out good, then blow it out with canned air, then use the G96. The G96 is not gummy, and the new Synthetic Safe Gunscrubber seems to leave less white deposit--not that it's a concern. I'd never remove a staked rail (shell holder).

If my SIG trigger pulls seem a little rough, I squirt some G96 in there and things improve significantly--and it lasts quite a while.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 14, 2005 at 06:34 PM.