The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2005, 04:31 AM   #26
Sturm

LeftoverDJ

I have heard good things about Yuenglings and I'm glad we have something we can agree on. I'll make you a deal. Next time I get to PA, I'll try one if you will try a Warsteiner before worrying too much about shelf life and give me an honest evaluation. Not much of a deal, since I would try a Yuenglings if it was available in TX anyway, but we might find something else to agree on after that. Who Knows? Thought the same would always be the case with Mike Irwin and myself and on top of that Mike is an Eagles fan and I am a...well you can probably guess. But, lately, he has put up some rather remarkable posts in the political section that I should know better than to go there, but if I hadn't, I might not have been as impressed and formed the respect for him that I know have.

You might say that Sturm is trying an enlightened approach. Well sometimes anyway. Sorry for drifting, but cheers to all of you connoisseurs of fine beer everywhere! Helped us win the revolution and Benjamin Franklin once said: "If God hadn't have wanted man to be happy, he would have given us beer!"
Old June 10, 2005, 12:15 AM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

For putting out moderate amounts of ammo for not a lot of money I believe the Lee Turret is a decent option. No, it's not made from the hardest boron nitrated vanadian leveled, plutonium enhanced kryptonite, but I turned out one hell of a lot of rounds on one.

I also believe that most moderate volume loaders are well served with Lee dies. I never have had any problems hitting my targets, be they falling plates, bowling pins, or silhouette critters, with ammo loaded on my Lee turret with Lee dies.

I was born and raised in Yuengling country, and have history with some of the Yuengling family. Their beer gives me vicious headaches. Michelobe does the same, as does Natty Bo.

Stoney's or Straub's are my favorite "drinking" beers from Pennsylvania. Iron City's not bad if it's cold enough.

For savoring beers I like Shiner Bock or Steel Head Lager.

My Phillies just swept the Texas Rangers.
Old June 10, 2005, 01:36 AM   #28
Sturm

In N. Virginia? I guess it is getting better distribution than I thought. Bock is good and even better on draught. Warsteiner Dunkel is still in a different league. The Pilsner is excellent also.

I am a Rangers fan, and unfortuneatly one that hasn't been paying very close attention, but since you have had a Bock, I'll leave it alone. Football season will be a different matter entirely and I can't wait to see who sweeps who. I like the idea of posting reults, BTW!

Boron nitrided vanadium plutonium enhanced kryptonite? Sounds like you were having a few Bock's with Superman!
Old June 10, 2005, 09:05 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Shiner makes it to Virginia, maybe Maryland, but I can't find it in Pennsylvania.
Old June 10, 2005, 11:35 AM   #30
butch50

Quote:
Boron nitrided vanadium plutonium enhanced kryptonite?
Oh man I want one of those!!!!

Ever try Bohemia? Made in Mexico but from what I understand it is a german beer originally designed by an Austrian Brew Master.

Mostly I drink Corona or Guiness, with the occasional foray into the local micro breweries.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old June 10, 2005, 11:41 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

Truth be told, I'm not really a beer drinker.

Gin & Tonic is my adult beverage of choice.
Old June 10, 2005, 03:45 PM   #32
butch50

Gin and Tonic, a true summer drink.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old June 10, 2005, 06:11 PM   #33
Russ5924

MY vote go to the Lee Turret Press you can get the Whole DELUXE kit for about $70 and has about everything you need and can easly do 150 an hour.You get a rockchucker might get 50. And have money for a six pack
Old June 11, 2005, 05:10 AM   #34
Sturm

GEEZ, we're getting warped here. Butch many of the Mexican Beers were started by Germans. Add Dos Equis, to the list. Pacifico is one you will definitly want to try. I think it is the best Mexican beer I've had and Bohemia is great. Just remember what they say about the water!

Mike, ever read any Hemingway. He had a funny take on G&T in his novels.

I believe he loaded on a single stage, but I'm pretty sure he was loaded everyday!

If it ever comes to it, I would be open to a beer exchange. I believe it can be done by UPS. May turn out like the gun thing though and arrived mostly drank or not at all!
Old June 11, 2005, 10:57 AM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

I had a tragedy at my house last night.

Serious mourning.

I ran out of gin.

And the package store was closed.

I'm drinking too heavily.

It only took me 3 years to kill that bottle of gin.

Haven't read Hemingway in years.

With all this talk about reloading equipment and alcohol an important point needs to be made...

NEVER consume alcoholic beverages while reloading.

There are a couple of pretty sad stories on the web about people who decided to reload while drinking, and they ended up substituting Bullseye or some other fast pistol powder for 748 or some other ball rifle powder.

Anyone care to guess what 48 grains of Bullseye would do to a rifle? Anyone? Bueller?
Old June 12, 2005, 08:51 PM   #36
butch50

I anticipate that it would cause a severe problem, but only from the way you phrased the question and not from technical knowledge. Please explain thoroughly.

I want to second the comment about NEVER EVER NEVER drink while reloading, not even a sip. That would be completely insane. You should be in the same condition when reolading as you want the airline pilot to be in when you board his plane.

I received a copy of the Blue Press today (first one I have ever seen June 2005) and (talk about warped now) if the young lady on the cover is not just a model I might just order one of everything in that catalog.

"Dos Equis is a very good friend of mine by the way"

Old June 12, 2005, 10:01 PM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I anticipate that it would cause a severe problem, but only from the way you phrased the question and not from technical knowledge. Please explain thoroughly."

Imagine a small but pert nuclear weapon.

Going off about 4 inches in front of your face.

Peak pressure of 48 grains of Bullseye would probably run in excess of 120,000 PSI.

No rifle on the face of the planet would survive that.

Rifles that are subjected to that kind of pressure usually shatter into many pieces. As often as not the shooter has some injuries, ranging from minor (gas burns, small bits of debris) to major (eye trauma, major lacerations, etc.)

I was at the shotgun range today with some friends, and there's a shotgun hanging on the wall showing the effects of poor reloading techniques. The receiver and barrel are flayed open. Not sure of the story, but wouldn't be surprised if it were a power miscue.