The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
JBA

Practice slugs reloading?

Man after buying a box of 12ga slugs I am checking into reloading them. Do any of you guys reload them? I havn't reloaded shotshells in 4 or 5 yrs and never loaded any slugs even then. I"m just interested in some mid power range practice rnds. I even got about 100 lbs of lead from when I cast my own 45 bullets and I could cast the slugs myself maybe.
How about some info guys? Thanks JB
Old June 6, 2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Simplest route is round balls. Slugs will drive you nuts. A round ball matched to your choke will easily give you 3-4" 50 yard groups. The Lyman hourglass design seems to be the best of the moulds. I have had medicore results with the Lee. The Lyman Forster is utterly useless, imho.

Slug loads have way too many variables. The skirts are prone to collapsing: wads can get stuck in the base of the slug; some wads are not tough enough to be used with slugs and get mangled; other wads won't reliably release the slug. Crimp is critical and can play games with accuracy. Just when you get a load working, one or more of the components will be discontinued.

I might have been halfway sane if I had never started trying to load slugs.
Old June 6, 2005, 10:42 PM   #3
JBA

Hay thanks for the info Leftover. Balls would be fine with me if I could get some decent consistancy as far as POA/POI. Like I said they would just be for practice.
Did you have much problems with the round ball reloads? Any help on info sites??
Thanks JB
Old June 7, 2005, 12:46 AM   #4
Leftoverdj

Dixie Gunworks will make an RB mould to the diameter you specify for about $30. This guy's moulds look nicer. http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.html Never used his, though. Both require you to cut off the sprues with pruning shears which is not a biggie.

I like the Federal wads for one ounce shot loads and cut off the pedals to about a quarter inch to accomodate my .735 RBs. Some folks report decent results just dropping a .670 RB inside the shotcup. Haven't tried that myself, but that's safe in choked guns and my loads are not.

If you don't have a shotgun press, you don't really need one. I crimp on a drill press with a roll crimper. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi.../homepage.html has the crimper and some other useful stuff, including new hulls which make things easier and give a more uniform crimp. I sometimes use a .135 card wad on top the ball to adjust crimp and BPI should have those. The cards get used on loads that sit deeper than about a quarter inch from the case mouth.

I use any available data for the next weight of shot up from my ball and try for a recipe showing around 9,000 LUP. That, the slightly lighter weight, and the lessened friction from my RB give me the safety margin I want for my roll crimp. That may or may not be a safe assumption, so use your own judgment.

Last thing is make sure you mark your shells. Star crimped slug loads make me very nervous. Too much chance of shooting at a bird and dropping an ounce or more of lead a half mile away. Roll crimp is positive identification.
Old June 7, 2005, 06:47 AM   #5
only1asterisk

Leftoverdj,

How do you seat your wads consistantly without a press?

David
Old June 7, 2005, 11:26 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

Only, the quill stop on the drill press regulates my wad pressure. With one piece wads, they pop back up as soon as you release pressure. It's the crimp that provides the intial resistance. If all my shells come out the same length with the same amount of roll crimp pressing down, wad pressure is going to be pretty uniform.

I still use some built up wad columns, but that ain't nothing nobody needs to worry about for casual punkin ball plinking loads.
Old June 7, 2005, 12:42 PM   #7
Ruger4570

I don't want to get crosswise with anybody but I have loaded a lot of the Lee 1 oz slugs and I have had performance as good as some of the factory sabots. Not all of them, but several.
I also assume you are using a rifled barrel, if not, don't bother with the Lee mold, it is designed to be used in a rifled barrel only. Wally World sometimes sells Foster slugs at very low prices. I think I saw them for something like $1.50 +/- a 5 pack.
I have both weights of the Lee slug molds but the 1 oz. shoots considerably better. I pretty much follow the recipe's in the instructions but I have tried several brands of wads, some are a lot better than others. In my Ithaca Deerslayer II, I can easily keep all the shots under 4" and many times the first 2 are touching or nearly so. As anybody that shoots a lot of slugs knows,, flinching control is a hard dance to do.
The Lee mold sells for about what you will pay for a couple of boxes of slugs and you may find that they shoot as well for you as for me. You sure won't be out much money and if you don't like the mold,, well,, you can always sell the mold to someone else. If you find a particular wad that works better,, buy a couple hundred and you will probably not run out in your lifetime.
Old June 7, 2005, 04:27 PM   #8
griz

I just bought a Lee mold but haven't loaded them yet. The ones I cast look too short to fill out the shot cup. Do you use wads in the shot cup?
Old June 7, 2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Poodleshooter

I've been reloading cast Lee slugs for a few years now. I initially tried some loads with massive loads of Blue Dot,but have since switched to slightly slower loads with faster powders for reasons of economy,ease of ignition and recoil. Universal Clays has worked well for my star crimped 1oz Lee slug loads using Fed 12S3 wads. I've got a large stash of Unique that I'm going to use to try to work up loads in the 1200-1300fps range.
The Universal Clays loads work well,but if you're considering economy,keep in mind that you'll only get 200rds per pound of powder. The Lee slug mold is dirt cheap,and works well if you watch your melt temps and smoke the mold thoroughly. They're good accurate foster slugs from my Mossberg.
Old June 7, 2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Leftoverdj

I have both the Lee moulds and am willing to give them another go. The suggested loads with Activ hulls and wads just did not work for me. The slugs were not separating from the wads, and I kept finding wads at the base of the target holder. Even found a couple stuck halfway through the backer board,

btw, contrary to Lee's instructions, those moulds cast fine with WW IF you preheat the core plug.
Old June 7, 2005, 09:09 PM   #11
kgpcr

dont do it

How many slugs a year do you shoot. for the price of them i dont see any possible way to come out ahead on them. if you are looking to see what you can do and love to tinker then go for it