The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Hornady or Dillon
Hornady LnL AP with casefeeder for 500$ 19 33.33%
Dillon 550 350$ 19 33.33%
Dillon 650 with casefeeder for 670-700$ 19 33.33%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 25, 2005, 02:08 AM   #26
BigBoreKindaGuy

I have previously owned RBCS, Lee and Hornady presses and they just don't stack up to the 650 Dillon press I now own. You are correct about "squeeze for money" when changing calibers on the Dillon. But the overall quality of the Dillon design and material used is just plain ahead of the others that the "squeeze" is tolerable for me.
Old May 14, 2005, 07:13 AM   #27
Oct_97

Can I use my Dillon Dies with a Hornady LnL, especially the combo Bell/Powder die?

Thanks for any input

John
Old May 14, 2005, 11:33 AM   #28
cheygriz

IMNSHO, The machine a person should buy at first, is the machine they will end up with 20 years down the road.

I honestly believe that for most pholks that like progressive reloaders, that "eventual" machine will be a Dillon 650 or 1050.

Having said that, I still think the Dillon 550 and the Hornady and RCBS are truly great machines. I just think the 650/1050 are better machines

I still have, and use, an old Dillon 450 that has been partially upgraded, for those calibres that I don't load in great volume, such as .30-30, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. It's a great little machine, but it just wouldn't cut it for loading 9MM, .40, .45ACP, .223 etc., in the volumes that I load.
Old May 14, 2005, 05:07 PM   #29
BigBoreKindaGuy

Dillon all the way. You cannot go wrong at all. With the other manufacturers its hit or miss depnding on the model.
Old May 14, 2005, 07:50 PM   #30
caz223

Well, I currently have a 550, and have never found it wanting. I load for 10 calibers, and the nice thing about the 550 is that it's easy to change calibers very quickly.

That being said, if you wanted to just load one or two calibers, and needed higher volume, there's no reason to not try out the hornady press, esp since auto indexing and the case feeder really speed things along.

I like my 550, but there are other presses out there, and I'm sure that hornady makes a good one.
Old May 15, 2005, 03:56 PM   #31
StrikeEagle

Dillon 550B

I've been using and enjoying a Dillon 550B for about 25 years. Works great, does all I need. Yes, Dillon service is ledgendary... as good as it gets.

I seem to load 1000 rounds a mouth or so... sometimes more. And as odd as it may sound, I wouldn't WANT the machine to go faster. Reloading is kind of a relaxing time for me and something I look forward to. There have been many times that I would poke around looking for SOME cases (ANY cases!) to fill... just for the quiet rhythm of reloading.

Have you ever talked to anyone with a 550B who REGRETS having bought it? I don't believe I ever have.

best,
StrikeEagle
Old May 15, 2005, 06:28 PM   #32
BigBoreKindaGuy

StrikeEagle said: " I seem to load 1000 rounds a mouth or so... sometimes more."

You must have a pretty big mouth there to load 1000 rounds or more.....
Old May 23, 2005, 04:20 PM   #33
Popeye4

I've got a Dillon 650 that is nuclear-grade. I don't have the comparable Hornady metallic cartridge progressive press; however, I've got a Hornady Apex shotshell loader that does the job but isn't as solid or reliable (I know, comparing apples and oranges, but I'm commenting more on the robustness of the design and manufacture). Also, when I've needed parts for the Hornady, they've always promptly shipped them out at MY expense. When I've needed parts for the Dillon, they've always promptly shipped them out at THEIR expense.

I use and enjoy the Hornady Apex and don't shoot enough shotgun (right now) to change my habits, but that Dillon SL900 looks pretty darned nice..... ahhhh, so many toys and so little time (and cash)!

Doug
Old May 24, 2005, 12:52 AM   #34
racenutz

Quote:
By the way the dealer I bought the 650 from makes more off of the Hornady press. Despite the higher price of the Dillon press they do not have a very good dealer incentive program, so he had nothing to gain by talking me into the Dillon press.
I don't know how much your dealer charges but comparing the dealer price to the normal price at Graf & Sons (I have my C&R license on file with them & get the dealer discount) I'd say the opposite is true.
Old May 24, 2005, 01:07 AM   #35
tc300mag1

I went with a LNL myself didnt get the case feeder and have no complaints i can still load pretty fast without the feeder
Old May 24, 2005, 11:15 AM   #36
Guy B. Meredith

The early LNL primer feed was awkward and cranky, but I've updated my 6XX serial number press with the new version and it is super slick.

Ran 600 rounds Sunday and basked in the pleasure of using the system--until my RCBS decap die pin fell out. Slapped in my Hornady decap die and continued until I ran out of primers.

I spend more time examining and cleaning brass than on the press for a given number of rounds.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old May 31, 2005, 02:02 AM   #37
goalie

I drank the blue kool-aid after Dillon refurbished my Square Deal for free. I recently traded it in on a 550B, and the .223 ammo it cranks out is quite accurate (using Redding competition dies). I also am impressed with how quickly I can change over to load 9mm (the primer size is the same, so that helps) and how quickly I am able to load the 9mm on it.

I find the manual indexing to be no drawback at all, especially loading rifle ammunition. I actually like having to index by hand, and the way I do it results in an extra check on the case that just received powder in it. I get about 250 rounds an hour of 9mm, but I am not exactly in a hurry when I load, and I don't have any automatic primer fillers.

The bottom line is that almost any press is able to make you good, quality ammunition. For me, the customer service provided by Dillon won my loyalty.
Old May 31, 2005, 05:07 AM   #38
StrikeEagle

Hi, Goalie

I'm really with you on the Dillon 550B. Gooooood stuff.

Do you have several powder measures? It's even easier if you do. I've only got one, but have been thinking about getting 1 or 2 more.

StrikeEagle
Old May 31, 2005, 05:54 AM   #39
goalie

Quote:
Do you have several powder measures? It's even easier if you do. I've only got one, but have been thinking about getting 1 or 2 more.
Well, right now I am loading 9mm and .223 on it, so I am just using one powder measure and switching out the bars. It is rather quick, because I am not actually messing around with adjusting the bars, I just switch from small/pistol to large/rifle and it is within 1/10th of a grain of where I left it.

I may invest in another powder measure if I start reloading more handgun calibers. I really like having the little Dillon toolhead stand to hold the caliber that I am not using at the time. It keeps everything organized.