The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 6, 2005, 05:32 PM   #1
DT Guy

Bad, Bad Experience at The Gun Shop In Plainfield, IL

I bought a used Firestar M-40 at The Gun Shop in December, 2004. Right off, it did not function because of a broken extractor. The shop manager ordered a part, and about a month later I got a call that the gun was repaired.

I got the gun last week, and tried it for the first time last night. I found that the extractor had not been fitted, and the gun repeatedly stuck a live round halfway in the chamber, with the rim caught under the extractor.

I returned the gun to the shop today, and the owner acknowledged that the gun did not function (they tested it) and then called and confirmed that the extractor had not been fitted. I asked for my money back, and he flatly refused. I mentioned that I did not want it back after more of their 'repairs' were done. He was rude, laughed and told me he would 'enjoy' fighting (figuratively) for the money. I asked if this was truly how he ran his business-selling a defective gun, incorrectly repairing it (and returning it in a downright dangerous state) and then refusing a refund, and he replied that it was...

I refused to take the firearm, and he took possession of my repair receipt.

I'm contesting the charges with my C/C company, but that's actually the smallest part of this issue. After I got home, he called and told me the gun was again 'repaired' and I should come and get it. When I refused, and again asked for a refund, he told me he was reporting me to the ATF for committing a felony by 'illegally' disposing of a firearm.

??????????

Even the ATF thought that was funny, in a serious sort of way. They're interesting in investigating his threat, but I doubt they'll get involved in the actual refund of my money, nor do I think they should.

I've never had an experience anything like this. I've been insulted, threatened and all because I wanted a gun that simply worked-nothing more.

I'm proud that I maintained my civil demeanor (my sons were present, and that made it more important to me to remain dignified) and never so much as raised my voice. I do feel that I have a duty to inform others of my experience, simply because it would be wrong not to let other shooters know what might happen to them if they do business there.

FWIW,

Larry

(Also posted to THR)

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old February 9, 2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Top_Notch

I'll keep that in mind as a fellow Chicagoland area shooter.
Old April 14, 2005, 06:50 PM   #3
jesse2005

Thanks for the heads-up on that place. I'll remember not to check it out.
Old April 21, 2005, 11:25 AM   #4
629 shooter

It shows remarkable poise that you were able to keep your cool under such adversity. I probably would have blown a few gaskets and had a cow! I had a similar occurence a few years back but with a much different outcome.

I had bought a new Marlin 1894 lever action 44 mag. Was a real beauty! Unfortunately the thing would not feed ammo - PERIOD!
Took it back to the shop and told the owner. He asked if I was using reloads and I said - yes. He confindently loaded the entire tube with factory ammo in front of several customers. Again the lever locked up on round one! He said he would have it fixed. A few days later he said the rifle needed to be sent back to Marlin.

He immediatley gave me the option of ordering a new Marlin, a refund, or credit towards another gun. I went ahead and picked up the Single Six I was looking at the same day I bought the Marlin. Plus I received some money back!
Old April 28, 2005, 08:32 PM   #5
bclark1

yea glad to know, i'm down in champaign but home is still the chicago burbs. i'll stay away from that place, thanks for the heads-up.
Old April 28, 2005, 10:44 PM   #6
Edward429451

Sorry to hear of your experience. It's hearing this kind of stuff that makes me always deal straight with the factory if there's a problem with the weapon.
Old April 28, 2005, 11:52 PM   #7
BigBoreKindaGuy

In this case you didn't sell anything...you returned a defective and potentially dangerous product to which the as*hole dealer refused your money back. So you didn't dispose of anything...you returned it as part of an open transaction that had yet to be satisfied by the gun being repaired correctly. My question is then how are you illegally committing a felony through improper disposal?
Old April 29, 2005, 12:46 AM   #8
DT Guy

Yep, I wasn't.

It only took the state AG, the BBB and the guy's hometown business licensing department to get this all straightened out-which was the gun, repaired correctly, NOT my $$ back.

And he lied to the BBB!

Larry

Old April 29, 2005, 02:56 AM   #9
bclark1

yea, the BBB has a tough job because it's one person whose word they don't know against the next.

as long as we're all chicagoland guys though, mind if i ask what gun shops are GOOD in the area? being down at the u of i most of the time i don't really know much up there...
Old May 8, 2005, 12:52 AM   #10
DT Guy

My favorite has always been Rinks. Fair prices and nice people.

Mega Sports can have good prices ON GUNS, and they're nice to deal with, too.

Larry

Old May 13, 2005, 12:12 PM   #11
plasticgunz

chicagoland ranges and shops

My experiences at the Chicagoland ranges and shops has been similiar. Maxon Sports: Friendly, don't remember the prices, dirty, crowded, fairly unkempt range. Bell's: They act like they're doing you a favor by acknowledging your presence in their store (woman was too busy chatting on AOL to do her job), range is a pig sty, and terribly small, OVERPRICED on everything. Example, very used G22 2-10rd, $580. Midwest: hit and miss with attitude toward customers, prices high, range fairly unkempt w/overpriced ammo for sale (last time they wouldnt let me use my walmart wwb, though they were selling it in other calibers for use on their range). Unfortunately, Midwest is seeming like the best place for those in the nearest burbs to the city. I *almost* went to MegaSports last weekend, but my buddy had to pass and I didn't feel like making such a long drive. Where is Rinks? Haven't heard of them. I sure do miss Pepper Sports....... On a side, anyone know what happened with Pepper's?
Old May 18, 2005, 08:44 AM   #12
bclark1

yea i shoot at midwest sometimes but they are a bit pricey, help has never been rude but just not always interested, i like being able to chat for an hour with the counter guys. i gave a buzz to mega-sports yesterday and they were a little out of my price range on things i was looking at, but i'd like to get out there to check the place out in person one of these years...
Old May 25, 2005, 07:51 AM   #13
DT Guy

Rinks is just South of 143rd on Archer.

Right across from a Yamaha dealer with a MUCH better sign than Rinks has.
Look for the Yamaha sign...

Larry