The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 12, 1999, 09:16 AM   #1
Kingcreek

I'm so proud, I just had to post this.
I've been married to my lovely wife for 9 years. She surprised me and said she might like to try pheasant hunting with the arrival of a new and promising black Lab puppy a year ago. She never expressed any interest in it at all before that.
Her Christmas present last year was a Browning Micro Lightning so she shot some clays out at the farm and started hitting a few.
Last week, the same little dog finally got a rooster pheasant up in front of her with a straight away shot and she got her first ringneck. Seems now, she's ready to arrange her busy schedule to include more time to hunt.
She informs me she will NOT hunt ducks or geese if she has to get up early and get cold and wet, but she is considering letting me put in an app for her for antelope next year.
Looks like I've got a new huntin' buddy!
Old December 12, 1999, 10:32 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Kingcreek - this is a dangerous situation.

You now need to be able to articulate just why your .25-06 can't fill the role of your .270 and other mysteries.

Things like why you need a duck gun, goose gun, upland game gun and a quail gun. And why your 870 is just not up to all of those tasks.

(GRIN)

Best of luck and congrats!

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Old December 13, 1999, 08:33 AM   #3
Kingcreek

Hi Giz,
Yep, some hazards here, but I'll take my chances.
My wife has NO interest in guns. When I brought up the subject of a rifle for her she just shrugged and said she didn't need to know anything- she'd learn to shoot whatever I pick out. (I'm thinking Rem model 7-7mm08)
I tried that 'need-based argument' for awhile and therein lies the real trap.
Need has nothing to do with it- I WANT this new ____.
She doesn't need 47 pairs of shoes either- one pair of sturdy brown shoes would do.
We allow each other alot of financial freedom (within our budget, of course) so we don't have those marital sparring matches. I had no objection when she flew to London for shopping and theater (some real gun buying leverage there)
Old December 15, 1999, 09:47 PM   #4
Rod WMG

I'm very pleased for you and your wife, kingcreek! My wife is a great partner, but she doesn't hunt and doesn't really want to. She supports all my hunting and doesn't complain when I'm gone and out freezing the back of my lap off and she's sleepin' in!

I realy wish she'd hunt, because she sights game better than anyone I've ever seen!

I did get her interested in popping a few squirrels this spring, but not in the fall.