The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2005, 09:18 PM   #1
AdamHnetka

M1

I am thinking about buying a new M1 from Springfield. They go for about $1750-2000 here in Canada. The gun would be used occasionally for hunting deer, shot occasionally for practice, but primarily would remain under lock and key in case of troubled times. I would be loading my own ammunition. I understand that they are best used with mild loads and 150 grain bullets. (I already load light for my grandpas old Remington 760, 48.5 grains of BL-(C)2, sierra 150 Gameking, caliber .30-06) What I am curious about is what kinds of bullets will feed reliably through the action? I dont want to use FMJ's. I would like to load several different bullet types and test bullet performance on different media. Does anyone have any experience loading soft point spitzer bullets for the M1? Barnes XLC's, BST's from Winchester, Nosler Partition, Accubond, commercial cast? That kind of thing.

--------------------
"When guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Reich Heil"
Old April 8, 2005, 10:43 PM   #2
rwilson452

M1 bullets

The Sierra 150 SBT (#2125) works well in my M1, your results may vary.
Old April 9, 2005, 12:44 AM   #3
Powderman

I have had excellent results with the Winchester 150 gr. PSP. I can not remember the charge I used right now, but I have used both Varget and IMR 4895 and have achieved almost match grade accuracy.
Old April 9, 2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Tim R

I used a many Speer 130 gr. Hp's without problems as well as a good many Match Kings. The Speer 130's shoot well enough for some match shooting. I have shot Speer 165 gr SPBT without problems as well.

I think the bigger problem will be powder used for the M-1 as they need a powder that won't bend the op rod. Burning rates between IMR 3031 and IMR 4064 are about right.

I would say out of my '06 M-1, the best groups I have obtained have normally been with CCI large rifle primers and IMR 4064.
Old April 9, 2005, 07:51 PM   #5
BILLY D.

Adam

I Only Use My M1 For One Thing. Target Shooting. I Use 168 Sierra Mk's And 47.5 Grs Of Imr4064. Col 3.230, Fed 210 Primers. Shoots Great To 500 Meters. Thats As Far As I Care To Walk And Place Targets.

I'm Sure It Would Do Well At 1k But Not With My Eyes. I'm 68 And Had A Battle With Glaucoma. The Rifle Is Not Scoped, And Never Will Be.

Good Luck And Good Shooting. Enjoy Your M1, They Were And Still Are As Far As I'm Concerned The Best Battle Rifle. Trouble Nowadays, We Got All These Pansies That Can't Carry A Heavy Rifle And Ammo. Boo Hoo Hoo.

Best Wishes,

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old April 11, 2005, 12:12 PM   #6
cheygriz

The M-1 is an excellent choice for your purposes. I would load 147 GR FMJ for practice because the bullets are cheap in bulk. (this is the military load, and also works quite well for serious social shooting)

Any quality 150 GR soft point (I prefer the Speer) will work well for deer and elk. The solid copper 150 Barnes "X" hollow point bullet will handle just about anything on the continent.

Stick to powders slower than 4320. IMHO, and that of most old time target shooters, 4895 and 4064 are the best powders made for the M-1. Actually, 4895 was specifically formulated for the M-1 military loads.