The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 1, 2005, 11:00 AM   #26
1BadF350

Quote:
I am just curious what you find so punishing about either the Remington M870 or M1100?
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury.
Quote:
Good luck with your shoulder injury.

LOL, looks like you answered your own question in the same post.

Sorry bud, I couldn't resist pointing that out.
Old April 1, 2005, 12:40 PM   #27
pt92

I too would say the Rem 1187 (I have the tactical 1187P model) is a good match for what you are looking for.

-Cheers
Old April 1, 2005, 06:22 PM   #28
BLKLABMAN

lance,
--You said you wanted to shoot clays--
If your going to be a weekend clays shooter and are out there to just go thru some shells with friends, then the 11-87 will be fine. If your planning on getting serious about it, then that's another story. To be honest, I have NEVER seen an 11-87 finish a single season. They do not hold up to the 700-1,000 rounds burned week after week just in practice, plus another 250 for Tournaments. They are not even seen in FITASC.
Before buying, I would suggest going to a range and renting what you are interested in.
Old April 2, 2005, 09:51 PM   #29
lance658

BLKLABMAN, I think I am settling on an 1100-they have a few at a local gun shop for a reasonable price. If it does get serious, I would probably consider a Beretta or a nice Browning....something like that. I have been shooting the 12 ga Daly to build up some sort of resistance and conditioning, so far, so good. I may have to travel to rent some higher end stuff, or contact a club. But I work weekends, so that just screws everything up.

If only it would stop raining up here, I could get in some good practice. If the weather's good, gotta work late. If I'm out early, it's raining.

Also investing in a thrower for the clays...my arm is tired, and you can't shoot alone without some creative juggling.

I'll keep you posted-
Old April 4, 2005, 09:57 AM   #30
Ruger4570

Lance:
All of the above posts are good solid info. I have owned or still own most every auto shotgun listed other than the Chas Daley. They all recoil about the same and it is sometimes difficult to actually tell the difference, especially if the stock fits. One nice thing about the Berreta is that they have stock shims that will allow yu to somewhat modify the stock fit to suit your body. I happen to have an older 390 and like it some better than the 391 so I am sticking with that model.
The 2 guns that I use most often is the Rem 1100 and the Berreta which I just happen to shoot better. If you are going to mostly shoot clay targets, buy or reload some 1 oz or 7/8 oz light target loads. You might even think of a 20 guage as they can hold almost the same shot load as the 12 guage and seem to recoil less. You won't go wrong with any of the guns mentioned above, just find the one you feel best with and carry on,,,, good luck
Old April 6, 2005, 08:51 PM   #31
Ignition

saiga 12g. i love this semi-auto shotgun

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old April 7, 2005, 02:34 AM   #32
Huntergirl

I am quite fond of my 11-87, and the recoil is very manageable. Its used for waterfowl, and even the loads I shoot for goose are very tolerable.