The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2005, 12:18 AM   #1
Cameron Castleberry

New Brass

I loaded up some test bulletts with some all ready fired brass and they shot five shot groups well under 1/2 inch from my 7mm rem mag weatherby rifle so I took the load and loaded 50 rounds of new brass with the exact same load but when I shot them they would not even group at all they were every were so my question is will new brass cause the difreance or not?
Thanks
Cameron
Old April 5, 2005, 12:45 AM   #2
WIL TERRY

New Unfired Brass Can Make All The Difference In The World If You Don't Prep It First

I always run new brass through the FL sizer and expander, then carefully champher the case mouth. This of course assumes the brass doesn't need trimming after sizing. Most does not but I've seen plenty that did. If you look carefully at new brass almost all the case mouths are out of round. The sizing and expanding cures that of course.
Old April 5, 2005, 04:36 PM   #3
G56

I always treat new brass the same as fired brass, each case is checked for length and full length sized, consistency is the key.