The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Ruger # 1

+P,+P+ 9mm data?

Anybody know where I can find 9mm +P or+P+ reloading data. I have a handgun that will handle those pressure levels, and would like to do a limited amount of shooting with them. However, all I can find in my manuals are standard pressure loads, and I have no intentions of trying to concoct higher pressure loads on my own. Thanks for the help.
Old March 30, 2005, 08:31 PM   #2
m0ntels

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I guess any ammo going over the max load from your load data is a +P. I only ever loaded 50 rds this was just to see if there was much of a difference. I figured since my pistol is a service pistol from the Middle East, it would handle European levels of 9mm pressure. Had some powder to use up anyway. I loaded 5.5gr Unique under some 125gr FMJ at 1.150" with WSP primers. No signs of excess pressure in MY pistol. It was actually quite accurate too. My manual lists that load w/ 4.8gr Unique @ 31,200CUP and 1014fps. Dont have a chrony so I havent attempted this again nor do I plan to until I get one. About 95% of my time is paper shooting, and my paper hasnt noticed the difference between 300 fps BBs or 1200 fps out of my 41 mag yet.

I guess there is only one true way to determine how much pressure your gun can take...and I dont wanna do that, even without me holding it. I like my guns If you're gonna play dangerously, I'd go up 1 or 2 tenths of a grain at a time after you determine max loads are safe. Remember, just cuz you got a Ruger or Contender doesnt guarantee you got one without factory defects!

Randy - Safety First! -
Old March 30, 2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Keltecnician

The reason you do not often find "+P+" recipes is CYA. Some clever lawyer would have a field day with an injury lawsuit stemming from a too-hot load giving some shooter a new face. You can just hear the Bradies braying.

It is not just the strength of the handgun.

A case head separation can be very exciting and just maybe painful.
I would stick to pressure levels below the SAAMI specs. You can still get velocities bordering on those of the .357 Sig, which is to say, FAST.

If you are going to the hotter loads, look for powders that give an edge in velocity at lower pressures. I would check out Alliant Power Pistol.
http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/

Be extra careful in case selection.
FWIW, I have found that Winchester cases seem to stand up to high-pressure loads better than others, particularly Remington/UMC.
I would recommend CCI primers. Period.

Use the best eye protection and always wear shooting gloves.

Work your loads up from a level BELOW max loads listed and inspect fired cases for "outie" primers, and case bulging or cracking.
Case bulges may indicate that your particular pistol may not fully support the cartridge wall. I have noticed this especially in some burly military/service pistols where absolute cycling reliability is paramount and the intended ammo is standardized. Load accordingly!

Good shooting!
Old April 1, 2005, 04:46 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

Screw SAAMI

E-mail direct.
Old April 2, 2005, 03:44 PM   #5
cheygriz

Go to the library and try to find a 20 year old Hornady manual.

I've worked up 115 GR +P+ loads with Alliant Herco, Hodgdon HS6, AAC#7 and Power Pistol. all four of these powdrs are excellent for the job.

I got the highest velocity, within safe pressures with Herco. Herco doesn't meter very well through powder measures though.

I had a bit of trouble getting enough AAC#7 into the cases (WCC MilSurp) but it's still an excellent choice. (It was originally designed by Isreali Military Industries for UZI loads)

My best results, considering all factors, i.e. ease of metering through the mesasure, case reloadability, velocity etc, came with HS-6, with Power Pistol running a VERY close second.

The loads were tested during workup in a WW2 Walther P-38, A Glock 17, a Beretta 92, and a Sig P226. They all exceeded 1300 FPS with a 115 GR bullet in all weapons, and approached 1400 in some.

Use once fired cases, preferably MilSurp and work up slowly. In addition to conventional pressure signs, I like to use case reloadability. If I can reload the case numerous times, at least 5, without primer pockets expanding or case necks splitting, I know that I'm not "overpressure."

My loads use Remington 1 1/2 primers exclusively, although I'm sure others would probably work as well.

Good luck, and work CAREFULLY!!!
Old April 2, 2005, 06:35 PM   #6
Nortonics

Found a good discussion on this question over on Handloads.com here:

Powder, 9mm, etc. advice
Old April 3, 2005, 05:39 PM   #7
Ruger # 1

Thanks for the link.
Old April 4, 2005, 07:17 PM   #8
5pins

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...howtopic=12740
Old April 4, 2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Ultima-Ratio

The Real Deal 9mm Loads-

Hello, quest out the first edition VV manual! I recall running 3N37 published loads of 90gn@1700fps-115gn@1500fps &125s@1300fps easily from several guns.
Old April 5, 2005, 05:18 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

delicious (old) Vihta pamphlets, yummy

Major Nine for years.........