The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2005, 09:21 PM   #1
newtown27

Gauge question, RE: Hunting

I have been deer hunting the last few years with a NEF Pardner single-shot 12 gauge, shooting rifled slugs. I hunt in Ohio (no rifles) in thick woods, so it works fine for what I need.

That said, I have come across a good deal on a used 16 gauge bolt action. Is 16 gauge big enough to deer hunt with? Or should I stick with the 12?
Old March 31, 2005, 04:58 AM   #2
kudu

The 16 is more than adequate for deer. Here in Indiana you can use a .410 for deer.

The drawback of the 16ga is availability of ammo choices, and the price of ammo.
Old March 31, 2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Fred Hansen

Quote:
The 16 is more than adequate for deer.
Ditto.

It also never hurts to have a back-up gun. If you can get a good deal on another gun that is plenty good for deer it's win/win.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old March 31, 2005, 03:06 PM   #4
16ga

I'm obviously pro-16 ga. Great for small mammals, deer, all upland birds except turkey, and for pass-shooting duck. Bolt-action shotties should be cheap -- around $100 -- though they are more awkward to cycle than other actions. A 16 ga. slug should even be adequate for a tough-hided boar, if you've got them your way. I wouldn't want anything less than 12 ga. for bear, though.
Old March 31, 2005, 06:39 PM   #5
newtown27

Thanks for the input. I did some searching online and it doesn't look like ammo will be too difficult to find or too expensive.

One other question: I have thought about shortening the barrel to make it a little more manageable when I'm trying to find my way through the thick brush. What process should I follow for considering and/or making such a modification?
Old April 4, 2005, 10:29 AM   #6
Ruger4570

There isn't too much dificulty in modifying a shotgun. In fact you can cut the barrel down yourself if you take some care. Personally I would stick to around 20" +/- for the best ballistics and sight radius,,, owners choice I guess.
I have cut down a couple of guns in my life and what I did was to use a plumbers tubing cutter to lightly score a line around the barrel to follow with a hacksaw (tape both sides of the cutters wheels to protect the barrel). I carefully cut the end off and filed it as square as possible. I found a large metal rivit at a steel supply house and put some lapping compound on it and using a drill, polished the inside edge of the bore to create a smooth crown of sorts. The outside edge was carefully filed and sanded smoth and a little bit of instant blue, Done.
I would consider installing new fixed sights, front and rear and a good recoil pad. If I remember right the Mossberg and others have a split rear bridge so scope mounting wouldn't work. I hope this is of some help with your project.
Old April 4, 2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Twycross

Quote:
Great for small mammals, deer, all upland birds except turkey,
Are you referring to the lack of specialized 16ga turkey loads? Or do you consider it not enough gun?