The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 20, 2000, 07:38 PM   #1
Lavan

Posted on another topic. Maybe someone on here knows. I know the reasons for the switch, but I was curious to know if anyone ever heard of any PREFERENCE by the Germans for the Luger or the P-38. For instance, did they want to trade their issue Lugers for the newer P-38 or vice versa?
Old March 29, 2005, 04:14 PM   #2
cuate

Luger vs. P-38

Machine work was timely and costly on the beautifully designed Luger, The P-38 was easier to manufacture and had many design improvements that made it a much better military firearm.

Love 'em both and feel that the P-38 was the Grand Daddy of a lot of the things of most autoloader pistols, like hammer blocking and double action first pull.
Old March 29, 2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Person of Interest

The reason the Luger is so beautiful is the reason it's not the best choice for combat: all that precision fitting makes it less than optimal in harsh conditions. I suspect, but don't know, that most troops were glad to see a replacement that was likely more reliable under battlefield conditions.
Old March 31, 2005, 09:17 PM   #4
James K
Staff

No first person accounts, but FWIW I have heard that there was resistance at first to turning in the Lugers which were liked even though they were not that reliable even in German service. But once the P.38 was in use, most the soldiers and officers found it a good gun and liked it.

Of course, in both the German and American armies, a pistol was very much a secondary weapon. They were more prevalent in the German army because many soldiers and officers who carried a pistol would have been issued a carbine in the US Army.

Jim