The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2005, 05:11 PM   #1
osirus101

45 load 250gr 1225 FPS ??

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information

allright...i loaded up some 250 grain hornady xtp in 45 super brass with 11.5 grains of powder...the bullets were movin at 1225 fps there is no signs of pressure in the casings the primers are showing a little sign the dimple in the primer is getting pushed smooth...is there any reason to download these....my gun is beefed up for heavier loads..HD spring, buff, full length guide rod....shot the rounds fine...certain people are convinced im gonna blow my hands off....but after 20 rounds no signs of that happening...thanks for any advice

If your wondering why i want loads this hot..its for bear protection in great alaska

Osirus101

Last edited by osirus101; March 19, 2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old March 18, 2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, man!

osirus101 - -
I almost hesitate to ask, but I feel SOMEONE will do so.
Quote:
my gun is beefed up for heavier loads..HD spring, buff, full length guide rod
From this and the caliber, I conclude your pistol is some kinda 1911. I can only wonder what kind of powder you're using, and what kind of pressures you're reaching, and WHERE IN THE WORLD YOU OBTAINED THAT LOAD INFORMATION?

Now, before you answer this, or furnish any additional information, please go to the very top of the Handloading & Reloading forum and read the sticky, "REQUIRED READ for those posting Extra Heavy Load Information." If you choose to give such data, please insert the REQUIRED cautionary statement.

Best regards,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old March 18, 2005, 09:21 PM   #3
Hal

Dude,
I don't know how to break this to you,,,but 1225 fps & a 250 gr slug don't cut the mustard for a magnum class bear load.

Hell, I load 240 gr .44Mag "plinker" loads to darn near that.

Ditch the .45acp and those "powder puffs" and get something that will give you a fighting chance.

A .50AE DE pumps a respectable 325 gr downrange @ 1335 fps. That's more like what you need.

Last edited by Hal; March 19, 2005 at 01:04 AM.
Old March 19, 2005, 12:40 AM   #4
osirus101

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information

Yes this is a 1911...wouldnt dare shoot this out of a glock....Im using 11.5 gr of HS-6 in super cases with 250 gr xtp hornady hollow points...used the chrony and it said it was movin a little over 1200 fps...i found the load in a magazine...it said that the state troopers in fairbanks use a slightly differnt load using 9.5 grains...we slowly worked up for an even hotter load watching for pressure signs and such...apparently the pressures are at around 29000 - 30000 psi where as the 1911 is rigged for 35000...i wouldnt dare go any higher than this but i wanted to see what everyones oppinion was on what i have accomplished...

Osirus101
Old March 19, 2005, 04:43 AM   #5
steveno

I wouldn't shoot that load in any 1911 type pistol regardles of what case you used. when your pistol lets go after these I assume there will be before and after pictures?
Old March 19, 2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Desert Dog

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

That is a pretty warm load but HS-6 still develops too much pressure. It is too fast IMHO.

Try 11 to 12 grains of AA#7 with the XTP and see what you get. The pressure gradient is much slower. AA#9 is even better but you lose case capacity too soon to maximize that load.

If you must use Hodgdon powders, at least try HS-7.

I use a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible for the warmer .45 Super loads, and a heavily sprung and damped Ruger P90 for the more moderate for those wondering.

Good luck and be safe...

Mike

Yes, in fact I do have a 454... in more ways than one.

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old March 19, 2005, 05:11 PM   #7
osirus101

Thanks for the info desert dog...ill give those a try...starting a bit lower and working my way up of course...much appreciated