The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 10, 2005, 10:04 PM   #1
C Philip

The best 9mm for left handed shooters?

I am left handed, and although I know than most guns can be made to better suit a left handed shooter by modifing them or taking them to a gun smith, I would like to know if there were any "out of the box" 9mm handguns that were well suited for left handed shooters? I heard that the Sig p226 wasn't lefty friendly. Is that true? And other suggestions for a gun?
Old March 10, 2005, 10:19 PM   #2
WillBrayjr

All pistols are left-hand friendly, all you have to do is hit the mag release with your index finger and slingshot the slide while reloading.
Old March 10, 2005, 10:21 PM   #3
dolanp

The Springfield XD9 is ambidextrous, has mag release on both sides and since there are no manual external safeties you don't have to worry about that.
Old March 10, 2005, 11:04 PM   #4
seb5

I too am a lefty and can reccommend Ber 92, Sig, Glock, H&K, 1911. I think the mag release is easier left handed. on most models I can hit the slide release with my trigger finger as well.
Old March 10, 2005, 11:21 PM   #5
carolinaflats

I'm a lefty and find it pretty easy to adapt to really any service style auto. I currently own a Sig p225 in 9mm. The mag release is easily reached with my index finger and the decocker can be accessed with my righthand thumb when tilting the gun inward horizontally. I also have a HK USP, which is easily set up for lefthanded use by moving the decocker/saftey to the righthand side of the gun. This setup can also be purchased, though you'll probably have to have a dealer order it from HK in the lefthanded setup. Also, I don't see why the 226 would be unfrienly to a lefty, other than be a bit bigger than the 225, the controls are the same.
Old March 11, 2005, 01:03 AM   #6
Handy

Hk P7

Quote:
All pistols are left-hand friendly, all you have to do is hit the mag release with your index finger and slingshot the slide while reloading.
I'd call that equally UN-friendly. They put those controls there for a reason.
Old March 11, 2005, 01:07 AM   #7
JH

P7
Old March 11, 2005, 01:16 AM   #8
JMag

One easy answer...HK P7 (P7M8 is my fav).
Old March 11, 2005, 01:33 AM   #9
onlyinthemovies

HK P7M8 is as lefty-friendly as they get. HK USP's with decocker safety moved to righthand side is also a possiblilty as mentioned earlier. CZ 85 is labeled as an ambidextrous version of the CZ 75. I am sure there are others worth considering. That said (being left handed), most of the time I carry a Glock and just put up with its right handed layout.
Old March 11, 2005, 02:37 AM   #10
MacLeod

I am a lefty too. The HK P2000's have ambidextrous slide and magazine releases
Old March 11, 2005, 05:38 AM   #11
JKump

How about a Walther P99? It should fit the bill.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old March 11, 2005, 08:44 AM   #12
Gunmann

My lefty son kept causing my ultra reliable Glock 17 to jam during his CCW test. We finally realized he was inadvertently putting pressure on the mag release causing the malfunctsheon!

Be careful you wronghanded shooters of your grip and checkout the gun before you buy it. In Europe they put the mag release on the bottom of the grip. Hmmm.. Even though autos have ambi safetys it is an afterthought and they are designed for right handed shooters!

Don't cha know!!!

Old March 11, 2005, 10:42 AM   #13
Northslope Nimrod

I use the browning hp. I am cross dominant but I shoot with the right hand. The BHP has ambi-safety. Great gun if you are ok with C&L.
Old March 11, 2005, 11:01 AM   #14
Whitefalls

Beretta 92 has an ambi safety and the mag released can be reversed. However, I'm a lefty and I don't really have a problem using it in it's right handed version.

In my opinion the only feature that you really need to be ambidextrous is the safety. It also depends on the size of your hands in some cases... just be sure to try the gun out before you by it to make sure you can reach everything you need to reach since you may be using it a bit differently than the designer intended.

Us left handers are cursed
Old March 11, 2005, 11:23 AM   #15
onlyinthemovies

Thought I was cursed being lefthanded until someone set me straight:

A righthanded person has left hemisphere brain dominance; a lefthander has right hemisphere brain dominance. Therefore, a lefthander is in his/her right mind, but righthanders are not...(please subdue the groans)
Old March 11, 2005, 11:27 AM   #16
Laserlips

As a "senior citizen" lefty, over the years I have tried many pistols. The one I have come to like the best is my Sig P239.

The Sig P239 uses decocker, so I always leave the hammer down, with a full magazine, and one in the barrel. The Sig P239 has a reversable mag. release, so I swapped mine to be "lefty friendly", and I'm good to go.

Excellent little pistol, amazinglyl accurate, 100% reliable.....l

Friendly enough for me.

Now if our friends at Crimson Trace would just get on the stick and produce a set of their fine Crimson Trace Lasergrip's for it I'd be in heaven...

JMOFO....
Old March 11, 2005, 02:17 PM   #17
flycaster

I have a Glock 19, and have zero trouble as a southpaw. I pop the mag release with my trigger finger. No other controls to worry about as a lefty.

Chuck
Old March 11, 2005, 04:04 PM   #18
Boats

I am a lefthander, here is how I see it after 20+ years of buying and selling autos in no particular order in the subcategories:

BEST (Totally ambi on all controls):
HKP7M8 or M13
HK P2000

BETTER (Mag release is ambi or can be left dedicated, decent location and size to activate "righty" slide release with the trigger finger if desired over slingshotting, ambi safety or one that can be dedicated to the left hand):
XD (grip safety, dual sided mag release, well located slide release with decent size.)
Walther/S&W P99 (No safeties, decently sized slide release, paddle mag release on both sides, can be decocked without radical grip shifting.)
Beretta 92, 8000, 9000, upcoming PX4 (ambi safety, reversible mag catch, really big slide release.)
Taurus (Most feature ambi safeties, reversible mag catches, and good size slide releases)
HK USP (One sided safety--a minus compared to ambi, paddle mag release, decent sized slide release.)
CZ-85B (Has dual slide release, but righty mag catch, so this odd duck should slot in here rather than in the next category.)
Older Rugers (Ambi safeties and mag catch, decent size slide release)

DECENT (Has decently finger triggerable righty controls possibly with ambi safeties, or doesn't require them at all.):
1911A1 (Classic control locations, easy to adapt to ambi safety.)
Glock (Easy to hit righty mag release, poorly sized slide release forces slingshotting, no manual safeties)
BHP (Usually comes with ambi safety levers but they are tiny.)
Steyr (Ambi safety in trigger area, righty only mag catch.)
Ruger P345 (Ambi safeties, decent slide release, righty only mag catch.)
Trad. S&W (Ambi safeties, decent slide release, righty only mag catch)
CZ (all other models that have ambi safeties)

POOR (Forces its peculiar manual of arms on the shooter.):
SIG Classics (Unuseable decocker and slide release for lefties using a normal grip, forces slingshotting, redeemed just a little by reversible mag catch.)
SIG P210 (The most right handed pistol currently on the market)
CZ-75B (In 9mm, this is a totally righty weapon).
Old March 11, 2005, 04:12 PM   #19
coolridelude

i am lefty and i use a Taurus 24/7 9mm. the mag release is easy, i use my triggerfinger alot easier than the right thumb my opion(spelling).
Old March 14, 2005, 08:10 AM   #20
357SIG

I have read that CZ-85s are ambidextrous!
That should make it.
Old March 14, 2005, 10:00 AM   #21
Detective_Special

lefties

BOATS, Excellent and accurate assessement on guns for lefties.
Old March 14, 2005, 11:17 AM   #22
HKGuns

^agree ^

This is my choice.....But I'm not a lefty.

Last edited by HKGuns; March 14, 2005 at 07:34 PM.