The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 12, 2005, 11:54 PM   #1
M4A3

M4 Combat shotgun

I am looking for a semi-auto shot gun for hunting. When I ruirned 18 my grandpa gave me his old one, and it still works ok, but is getting kinda tired.

I've been looking at the M4 combat. Does any one own one? Do you like it?

Old March 13, 2005, 01:27 AM   #2
BLKLABMAN

Such a shotgun is poor choice for hunting/wingshooting, and a non-option for any clays sports. If you want one then by all means buy it. But buy something else for wingshooting and/or clays.
Old March 13, 2005, 02:26 AM   #3
M4A3

Quote:
Such a shotgun is poor choice for hunting/wingshooting, and a non-option for any clays sports. If you want one then by all means buy it. But buy something else for wingshooting and/or clays.
I can see why you would say it would be a poor choice for clay competition, but hunting... Why do you say this would be a bad choice for that? Barrel leingth?
Old March 13, 2005, 11:24 AM   #4
gburner

The name 'combat shotgun' should be a substantial hint.
Unless the deer you're after is breaking in to your home or hiding in a crack house, this is not the weapon that you want. Think along the lines of specific tools for specific needs. The weapon you illustrate is for up close, closed quarters 'social work'; for 'hunting' two legged critters.

If you want a shotgun that can fill both the 'home defense' and hunting roles, get a Remington 870 with two barrels; an 18 or 20 inch for home and a 26 inch or longer for field work. The 870 can be bought used and in good shape for around $200.00 and a second barrel will cost about half that. Avoid pistol grips, tactical add ons and all of the other combat bling. It only adds more weight and as no place in the hunting field.

Whatever you buy, get lots of ammo and practice often.
Old March 13, 2005, 11:38 AM   #5
kudu

A hunting shotguns main use is for birds on the fly and rabbits or other small game on the run. Rifle sights do not work in either case. A shotgun is pointed not aimed for such uses.

If the shotgun is used for deer, it is set up like a rifle with sights and possibly a scope, and a rifled barrel and sabots is preferred over a smoothbore and foster type slugs. This is a very poor setup for flying critters.

Barrel length should not matter in a normal hunting application, but I prefer longer barrels over short ones for any flying targets.

Since you don't say what you will be hunting for, it is hard to steer you in the direction of best barrel/gun combination.