The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 8, 2005, 06:40 PM   #1
Duxman

Missing your CCW permit

Gentlemen, My company has me travelling in a foriegn land. No weapons allowed (or illegal drugs for that matter.....both have severe penalties...death in most cases). And although the culture and the food here is fantastic, I am missing those days where I can walk out in the American Freedom, and have the comfort of 1.5 pounds of steel and polymer on my hip.

So the Q is: What is the longest time you had to go WITHOUT carrying your weapon concealed? (After you got your permit)
Old March 8, 2005, 06:45 PM   #2
CaptainRazor

About a month while I was waiting on my renewal.
Old March 8, 2005, 07:37 PM   #3
USP45usp

When I was in GA:

About a total of 179 days at a time, with a return to the States for 4 months and then back to play in the sand. Combined total of about 537 days (1.47 years).

I soon left the military after that, was tired of going and with my career field full of ladies who always got pregnent right before their turn so us men (about 230 out of the 460 (I guess half)) had almost immediant rotations.

Wayne
Old March 8, 2005, 08:10 PM   #4
bci4usa

In GA you don't need a permit to carry; you need a license to conceal it. Georgia is a state that would give anyone with out a domestic violence conviction or a conviction for a felony a license to carry.
When I was in CT I had a permit also. I have never been told I was not able to carry a gun do to licensing issues or any other legal issues.
I would never live in a state that infringed on my rights.

So the answer to the question is 0 days, as long I can control it I will never not have a gun on me.
I never once let my driver’s license, gun license, car insurance or anything I need to have my rights to drive or carry a gun be suspended.
Old March 8, 2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Blind Tree Frog

I took it to mean Georgia the country.
Old March 8, 2005, 10:44 PM   #6
USP45usp

No, I meant GA the state. The question posed was "Missing your CCW permit."

True, GA is an open carry state. Yet when I wasn't in GA, I missed having my gun on me, concealed, while I was doing everyday business.

So I was just answering the original question..

Wayne
Old March 9, 2005, 01:06 AM   #7
Blind Tree Frog

Your wording caught me offguard. When you said "In GA....then returned to the states.... then deployed again"

My bad.
Old March 9, 2005, 10:58 AM   #8
USP45usp

Blind Tree Frog,

Not a problem, I could have been more specific. I was deployed to Saudi at Prince Sultan three times in a two year period while I was stationed at Moody AFB, Georgia and had a CCW for the state .

Wayne
Old March 9, 2005, 01:21 PM   #9
Barry in IN

I got my carry permit at 18. Fill out the forms, pay, wait, and here ya go.
Later, I moved to the Chicago area.
Quite a difference.

So, after getting accustomed to the crazy idea of being able to protect myself, I spent seven years missing it. They say some things aren't appreciated until they're gone. I appreciated it before, but it really stung not to have it.
I moved to Indiana on a Saturday, and was in the P.D. applying for my permit Monday morning.