The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Benzene

Speer Gold Dot

I'm trying to reload using the 185 gr Speer Gold Dot hollow point bullet and Winchester 231 powder. I do not find an authentic charge for this combination. Has anyone successfully loaded such rounds? If so, could you please share the information. Thanks.
Old March 6, 2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Sturm

Benzene, if this were a plinking or target load, I could help. Since you are loading an excellent defense bullet, maybe I can help by saying that there are better powders for defense loads than W-231. No doubt, there will be disagreement on this one, but it will be based mostly on the popularity of W-231 in .45 ACP loads. Loading for practical defense use, is a zebra with different stripes than target shooting!
Old March 6, 2005, 09:10 PM   #3
dodgestdshift

Speer manual #13 page 574

Speer 185 gr Hollow Point Gold Dot
primer CCI 300
Col 1.2 in.

231 6.6 gr 837 fps Start
231 7.4 gr. 954 fps Max

Don N.
Old March 6, 2005, 11:07 PM   #4
Mark whiz

The available load data for Win231 and 185gr jacketed bullets is rather bizarre.

My Midway Load Map says the range is from 6.6gr up to 7.6gr for Gold Dots, but 5.9gr to 7.1gr for other JHPs like XTPs. But other manuals I have (Lyman's 47th and Lee's 2nd Edition show 6.1gr of Win231 to be a max charge for 185gr JHPs......................... go figure.

Anyhow, in my SA 1911-A1, I found that 5.9gr of 231 gave me the best accuracy with JHPs(and I tested out to 6.6gr with no sign of high pressure). I've noticed in all the calibers I've loaded Gold Dots in, that as far as accuracy is concerned, they do not like to be pushed fast - usually about .2 or .3gr less powder than a XTP likes.

So, with all that on the table - I'd suggest starting at 5.9gr and start working up in .2gr increments.
!
Old March 7, 2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Benzene

Lee disc

I do appreciate the responses. Does anyone know which Lee disc (in the Pro 1000) should be used to give a 6.6 gr charge of the 231? Thanks.
Old March 7, 2005, 04:09 PM   #6
dodgestdshift

Benzene:

Forgive me but your last question leads me to ask you if you have a powder scale? If you don't, you should not be charging powder without one to check the amount the powder dispenser is throwing. Believe it or not it can vary from the manufacturer's specs.

I am sorry, if I am wrong and you have one.

Don N.