The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2005, 12:24 AM   #1
Kayser

45ACP : 5.4gr Unique load question.

Figured I'm already on a posting spree, so why not keep going?

Anyways, I'm finally dropping charges and seating bullets on my 45 ACP rounds. Two questions

- Is there a good procedure for adjusting the seating depth without having to go through too many dummy rounds? I went through a good half dozen empty cartridges getting my COL just right (1.230). I do a few "micro" adjustments of the die every few rounds. How precise do you need to be to the listed COL anyway?

- That 5.4 gr of Unique comes up pretty high in the cartridge - pretty darn near where the bullet gets seated. Is this going to compress the load or anything along those lines? (I assume not since this comes straight out of the Hornady volumes).

Old February 27, 2005, 01:22 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

Easy way to set dies without wasting cases is to back the seating stem out for the first one, seat the bullet intentionally too long and seat deeper by increments until you get it right. If you want a dummy for future reference, make it after you have your dies set.

Max COL for .45 ACP is 1.275 so seating a little longer than you are is fine. Shorter raises pressures, but a few thous ain't gonna hurt nothing.

That looks like a lot more than 5.4 grains of Unique to me. Check your scales, check your measure, check everything in sight. 5.4 grains of Unique fills less than half of a .45 ACP case. If you have an empty .32 ACP case or .32 S&W Short, they hold about 5 grains of Unique full up. Varies a little by maker, but if the charge you show won't come close to fitting in one of those cases, you have something bad wrong.
Old February 27, 2005, 01:40 AM   #3
Kayser

Ah, damn you're right. Had the scale set incorrectly. Looks like it's time to invest in a bullet-puller. Dangit

Can you reuse brass if you've had to pull the bullets and recharge?
Old February 27, 2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

"Can you reuse brass if you've had to pull the bullets and recharge?"
Sure, just resize without the depriming rod in place (obviously), and then rebell the mouth.

A tip on setting up for the correct COL. Some people will do it differently, but I think you're wasting time, effort and shells when you say ....

Ah! Nevermind, as I went to get your quote, I see Leftoverdj gave you the same tip I was about to give. That's what I get for not reading previous posts.
Old February 27, 2005, 07:29 PM   #5
yekimak

Dang, good call Leftover......

I know I have loaded alot more than 5.4 of unique before...I kinda knew his pics did not look right, but it has been a while...

Kayser, How much powder did you have in there?

Last edited by yekimak; February 27, 2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old February 27, 2005, 07:47 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Me? I didn't have any. I don't use Unique in .45 ACP.

I think you meant Kayser.
Old February 27, 2005, 08:11 PM   #7
yekimak

That's what I wrote, Mal,,,,,..Kayser...yea....

I am glad the guy did not end up with brass implants if it was a really hot load.
Old February 27, 2005, 09:46 PM   #8
cuate

Unique load Question

We never loaded Unique but being an old dinasaur loaded .45 APC with 5 grains of Bullseye. Never a problem. Use to load .38SPL hulls for use in my .357 with the same 5 Grains of Bullseye. Way too hot for plain .38 SPL. Don't do it
Old February 27, 2005, 11:37 PM   #9
Robert M Boren Sr

I used to use that dirty stuff. I got sick of it so I quit using it in my 45. I'm using the rest that I have up in the shotgun. I even have a can of the new stuff but just wont use it anymore. I do have some bullseye left but have switched to the Ramshot line of powders and have had excellent luck with those.
Old February 28, 2005, 09:59 AM   #10
Steve in PA

I use 6.0gr of Unique and 230gr FMJ in my Sig P-220. I don't find it dirty. And my P-220 is two-toned, which would cause a real dirty powder to stand out. To each his own.
Old March 1, 2005, 01:07 PM   #11
bgfire

The old Unique powder used to be fairly dirty. The "reformulated" Unique that you get now is very clean burning, at least for me in my 45ACP, 40 S&W, and 45 Colt.
It all comes down to what you like, and what works for you.
Old March 1, 2005, 02:49 PM   #12
Doug242ti

I've been running Unique in my HK and Kimber. Its WAY cleaner than just about any commerical (cheap) ammo I've been using, but its not the cleanest of powders out there. Good 'nuff for me though.

I think my load was 5.8gr of unique... but to be honest Im at work and thats writen down at home ;-)