The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2005, 02:44 PM   #1
black&blue

Hornady LNL AP VS. RCBS Pro 2000

Hello all, I'm going to get a new progressive press and was looking at these two. They'll be used for some mass handgun loads and some rifle. Does anyone have an opinion about why one would be better for easy of use and accuracy when using a rifle set up? And how about maintenance? I see the Hornady has grease zerks on it, does the RCBS or does it have sealed bearings?

Thanks for your input/experience!

Brian

Last edited by black&blue; January 31, 2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old February 4, 2005, 07:37 PM   #2
grunewaj

black&blue,

I'm surprised nobody has answered this yet - maybe because so few people have the RCBS press.

If you haven't decided on one yet, I'd recommend the Hornady. It is less expensive, and every bit as good as any progressive press I know of. I don't remember the details of the RCBS press (auto progressive or not), but the Hornady is auto progressive and will accept a case feeder. I don't think the RCBS has a case feeder option. The RCBS uses the APS primer feed that I think is a good thing, whereas the Hornady uses the standard primer tube feed system just like all the others. The other thing I like about my Hornady is the micrometer powder insert that makes it easy to "dial in" a load. The RCBS also has that, but most other presses do not.

I think they are both quality machines. I believe the NRA has chosen the RCBS to be it's "official" press, but I think the Hornady is the best value for the dollar of any press - Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, etc.

Good luck!
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old February 5, 2005, 03:59 PM   #3
griz

I'm always hesitant about these kind of questions because answers sometimes sounds like an endorsment of one over the other when most people have only used one. When I was shopping I looked at the Dillon, Hornady, and RCBS. All three looked like fine quality presses, and I doubt you would ever wear one out. Mostly because of the cost of caliber swaps, I choose the RCBS. The Hornady was a very close second on that issue. I've never used any progressive other than the RCBS, so I'll not claim it as better or worse than the others.

It is manual indexing and has no grease fittings. Maintence for me consist of occasionally wiping off the grunge and oiling the pivot points a couple times a year. Nothing has broken in the 4 or 5 years I've had it. I do plan to order some spares (springs and pins) so I can keep reloading if one falls into a black hole after I drop it.

I buy a die plate for each caliber, which speeds up switching. A complete caliber change consists of: Switching the die plate, shell plate, and the primer punch if switching primer sizes. Set the powder measure and you are done. If loading rifle rounds, you have to switch a spacer in the measure to account for the longer cases. A complete caliber change takes 5 or 10 minutes, and most of that is verifing the powder measure setting. Thoose settings have always been repeatable for me, but I always check. Rifle loading presents no problems at all. It is no different than pistol loading.

I like the press. The primer system is safe and reliable. The strip loader is included, and they probably load faster than the tubes. CCI primers are avalible pre-loaded into the strips, and the closest thing I have to a complaint is I wish Federal primers were also available so loaded. The only other thing I can think of is I didn't consider the manual index a disadvantage, but that's personal preference.
Old February 5, 2005, 05:09 PM   #4
MADISON

Hornady LNL or RCBS Pro 2000

Hornady LNL or RCBS Pro 2000?
Please correct me if I am wrong...
The Hornady LNL progressive INDEXES; the RCBS Pro 2000 does not.

I have a 1989 Hornady Projector [The daddy to their LNL]. I have several million rounds loaded with it. When it needs replacing, I will go to their LNL progressive.

Last edited by MADISON; February 6, 2005 at 10:10 AM. Reason: To add more
Old February 5, 2005, 09:32 PM   #5
phungus

Several million rounds?! Wow. You've been busy for the last decade and a half.
Lots of Ammunition!
Old February 6, 2005, 03:57 PM   #6
Peter M. Eick

I have put far less through my Pro2000. Only about 170,000 documented rounds. Do a search, I did a write up a while back when I crossed 150,000 rnds.

The Pro2000 is a good unit. It works well and is totally manual. The big plus for it is the primer strips. Virtually no way to set off more then one if you screw up.