The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2005, 01:30 PM   #1
wyatttt

Handloading for the 44 Desert Eagle

Hello to the group.

I have just purchased a Desert Eagle 44 magnum and am having trouble finding reloading information specifically for it on the web. Any help or pet loads would be appreciated

Thanks

Wyatttt
Old January 24, 2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Robert M Boren Sr

wyatttt, Congrats on the purchase of a fine gun. I have one of the first 44mag DE. I use the info in the books with no problems. It has taken anything that I have given it. The one thing that you do not do is load lead bullets, it will plug the gas port if you do. So as long as you use jacketed bullets you're fine. I use a 240gr fpj, jhc, jsp and all have functioned flawlessly. So just pick a bullet you want to use and go for it. I use max loads as I carry mine hunting and backpacking with me. I also have mine sighted in at 100yds. It's that accurate. Good luck, drop me an e-mail if you want to know a little more about them.
Old January 24, 2005, 02:07 PM   #3
wyatttt

Robert

Thank you for the information. I have owned a few 44's but this is my first DE. I currently shoot the SuperBlackhawk and, like yourself, shoot "near max" loads. I wasn't sure if I could use this load in the DE or not.

I shoot the 240 gr Rainier Plated FP w/IMR 4227. I would prefer to be able to shoot the same load in the DE if possible.

Thanks again

Wyatttt
Old January 24, 2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Robert M Boren Sr

It will work just fine as I have that exact same bullet right now. The pistol is well built. My dad loaded up some double charged loads one time. After the third round the pistol fired single shot. The gun is strong and after the gun smith looked at it, he found out that there was a piece of brass stuck in the gass port and that caused the sigle action stuff. So my dad extracted the rest of those loads and his DE is still being used today without a problem. I since have been doing the reloads for the family.
Old January 26, 2005, 09:21 AM   #5
wyatttt

Robert

If you dont mind my asking, what load are you currently using?

Also, do you have a particular opinion either way regarding "crimping"? I have tried both with and without and have not noticed a significant difference in performance.

Thanks

M. Rogers II
Old January 26, 2005, 08:36 PM   #6
Robert M Boren Sr

These are max loads so aproach with caution,
240 gr fpj from mt gold 21gr of 2400
240 gr golddots 21gr 2400
240 gr jsp nosler 21.4gr 2400

all are a slight crimp with the lee factory crimp die. I like it because I feel I get a better ignition with the crimp.
Old January 27, 2005, 01:42 PM   #7
wyatttt

Thank you again, Robert, I appreciate your willingness to help.

Wyatttt
Old January 27, 2005, 11:25 PM   #8
AustinMike

240 JHP, 20.5 grains Accurate No. 9
240 JHP, 24 grains Hodgdon H110, magnum primer, tight crimp (max load, hold on tight!)
I'll also second the motion for 21 grains of 2400, although I think it's kind of dirty myself.
Old January 28, 2005, 08:47 AM   #9
wyatttt

I noticed that neither of you listed 4227, I don't have a great deal of experience loading handguns. Most all of my reloading has been rifles and target / benchrest and my powders have most always been IMR and Accurate. Is 4227 not a good choice?

Thanks again

Wyatttt
Old January 28, 2005, 06:45 PM   #10
AustinMike

Just haven't tried 4227 myself. Used to shoot a lot of 2400, then switched to AA #9. Seems to be a lot cleaner. I'm messing around with H110 at the moment. The jury is still out. I don't know that I like it better than #9 or not. Plus, it's recommended that you use magnum primers and I kind of like using all standards so I don't have to switch out when I switch to .45.