The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 17, 2000, 09:57 PM   #1
Paladin

I am in the market for an SKS, possibly the "paratrooper" version if I can find one. I hear the terms threaded versus pinned barrels bantered about quite a bit on these. I assume that all the barrels are really threaded, but one type is pinned in whilst the other is probably locked in some other manner????!! Can anyone comment on this and give me the easiest way to differentiate between the two? Also, is there a variation of SKS that is generally more accurate than others? Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

God bless America,
Paladin
Old September 17, 2000, 10:39 PM   #2
Badger Arms

There is only a difference if you have a threaded barrel and want to sell one. With a quality bolt-action gun, you might notice a difference in a press-fit barrel and a threaded barrel as far as accuracy goes, but on the SKS, there is no difference. If you can find one for a good price, buy it. The pinned barrels are simply pressed into a close tolerance hole and then a hole is drilled to 'pin' the barrel in place. A threaded barrel simply tightenes against the receiver by threading. Neither are really 'locked' in place per se.

If you want an accurate SKS, you'd be better served by taking the bayonet and cleaning rod off.

------------------
God made us in his own image.
Thomas Jefferson made us free.
John Browning made us equal.

Without Browning, we might not know about the other two...
Old September 17, 2000, 10:56 PM   #3
Jeff Thomas

My understanding is that the Russian SKS is considered one of the most desirable - has a star on the top of the receiver as I recall.

Check out the discussion at http://www.ak-47.net/akboard/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro for a lot more info as well ... check almost to the bottom for the SKS section.

Good luck. Regards from AZ