The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 23, 2005, 12:28 PM   #1
hube1236
Registration in progress

reloads and reindexing

When shooting to a slide lock reload,and changing out the mag, while reindexing to the target array, do you mnipulate the slide catch with the shooting hand- possibly changing the grip, or do you use your weak hand. I shoot IDPA mostly and a 1911, extending the lever would be against the rules - I think so it is left to me to slide forward one of the two methods above.

I do have big hands but the slide catch is still a grip shift away.
Old January 23, 2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Lycanthrope

I use the grip shift method. I need that left hand to go for the next mag as soon as possible.

(BOOM - Last shot) Left hand goes for mag while right hand shifts and dumps the old. Left hand coming up with fresh mag, right hand tilting gun slightly to the right so I can see the magwell. Left hand sweeps new mag in and I allow the momentum to bring the muzzle back to the next target (which I should have also been indexing to during this process). I'm not overly fast, but I can do shot to shot reloads in under 1.5 seconds this way with my wide guns. I learned to shave the most time by keeping the gun "out there" somewhat and making just the hand retrieve the mag.....not bring the gun back to the body so far.
Old January 23, 2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I depress the slide stop with my left thumb as my left hand moves back toward a firing grip after seating the fresh magazine. It is just too far away to get with my right thumb, I have to shift enough to reach the magazine catch.