The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 5, 2005, 04:58 PM   #1
Smith66

H&R Ultra Varmint Problem

Hey All,

I've noticed a re-occuring problem with my .223 H&R Ultra Varmint. It will randomly jam when I am shooting it. The round fires, but the extractor will not move when I break the action and then the hunt is over
It is a completley random occurance as far as ammunition. It has jammed using Wolf, Winchester, Federal, Speer, most brands from cheap to expensive. It will jam in different conditions; when it is the slightest bit dirty, too hot, too cold, etc, even though I clean it regularly. I live in South Dakota, where it is always too hot, too cold, to windy, too dirty, etc etc, so this could be a big problem. The spent casing comes out when I put a rod down the barrel and I know this could remedy my problems in the field, but it's not often when the hunt allows me to carry a cleaning rod. Has anyone else run into this with their H&R rifles? Is there a way to fix this? Is my Ultra Varmint a "fairweather" weapon?
Please help!
Old January 5, 2005, 05:52 PM   #2
keens

Never seen this happen in my experience with these rifles...I have "been around" only four of them with hunting buddies. I have shot them though for accuracy and been impressed. Sorry I cannot help, but if I were you I would start with an e-mail to the factory customer service department and go from there.
Old January 5, 2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Dave R

I have one, and have not seen what you describe.

Can you re-close the action when it happens?

I have seen Wolf cases stick in a chamber, in other guns. If that happens--stuck case--then the extractor would not move because the case could not be removed.

If you can re-close the action and let things cool for a few minutes, the empty may extract next try.

But that would only be true if the cause of the problem was the case sticking in the chamber.

And brass cases rarely stick in a chamber. If that's what's happening, your chamber may be cut a little tight, and it might be fixed by polishing the chamber.

But there may be other cases as well. This is just the only thing that occurs to me.
Old January 5, 2005, 07:10 PM   #4
mill hunky

h&r 30-06

i have a 30-06. never did have a fired round not eject. carried it this year, but only smelled the deer. summer before last i was in pa. my friend had steel targets the size prairie dogs out on a farm. when i took the h&r out of the case, he just kind of snickered. the targets were out to 450 yrds. it was about 95 degrees. shooting from one hill to the other hill side. i couldn`t even see the 450 yrd. target because of the heat waves, and the wind blowing the dust. the 350 yrd. i hit it so many times it wraped it around the pipe it was hanging on. then a ground hog at 285 yrds. after he shot it a few times, he liked it. and when on the range someone always asks , what cal. is it?
Old January 5, 2005, 07:44 PM   #5
plateshooter

Seems to be a fairly common problem with the rimless cases in the handi rifles. Below is the link to THE Handi Rifle forum. You can search this forum and find what others try to remedy the problem. I have a 223 Handi Rifle also and experience the same problem from time to time. You can carry one section of a steel cleaning rod and just drop it down the barrel. This has always knocked the case out for me.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/php...2656ef4e918442
Old January 5, 2005, 07:51 PM   #6
Jeffro250

Give H&R a call...a trip back to them might be in order!
Old January 6, 2005, 03:13 AM   #7
Smith66

Thanks for the replies everybody, I appreciate it. I'm going to put some rounds through it tomorow and see if it happens again and go from there.
Old January 6, 2005, 03:10 PM   #8
k in AR

Smith66,
Preacher got a new H&R Handi Rifle in 243 last fall. While sighting it in, the problem you described occured.
A little Break Free CLP and working the extractor release pin a few times by hand fixed it right up. Looked like it had left the factory dry. That was before hunting season and he has never had a problem since.
Old January 7, 2005, 12:23 AM   #9
zen_grasshopper

Hey Smith66,

I have a Ultra Varmint in .223 also. I notice the same problem after firing 50-80 rounds. I then clean the chamber well and then it shoots great for 50-80 rounds.

I do what plateshooter recommends and use a piece of steel cleaning rod. I just drop it down the barrel and the case drops right out. You can also Dremel a notch in the chamber end of the barrel. This was done by Fred M on Greybeard Outdoors and seem like it would work well, just cut the notch and use a small screwdriver or pocket knife to remove case. Scroll down to the bottom of the website for pictures. http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/tweakultra.html

What part of South Dakota are you from?

Jon