The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2004, 09:20 PM   #1
hutnhut

Reloading shotgun shell with steel?

I have not reloaded shells in quite some time. As a matter of fact it has been since the integration of steel shot to hunt most everything! I am getting back into hunting and would like to get back into reloading also. I am haveing a hard time finding a book listing loads useing steel. Can anyone recomend any books and possibly where to get one.

Thanks
Lynn Grover
Old October 20, 2004, 10:38 PM   #2
esheato

Head on over to Ballistic Products. They have tons of loading data/info and even books to purchase for loading steel.

Specifically, they have a manual titled Status of Steel that I have heard good things about. A friend loads some duck loads and for the longest time he quoted their velocity to be around 1900 fps. I know it's hard to believe, but I chrono'd 'em....1850 fps. Damn amazing and from what he says, it just crushes waterfowl out past 60 yards.

Best of Luck

Ed
Old October 22, 2004, 02:45 PM   #3
snuffy

Another vote for ballistic products. They not only have loading books, but also all the components needed to load steel. Along with data, components and suplies for loading bismuth and hevi-shot.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 25, 2004, 10:03 PM   #4
DD698

Amen to BP they do a bang-up job on reloading shotshell data. I have used their products for years. They will also answer your specific questions.