The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 16, 2004, 01:18 PM   #1
CzarShel

Tactical Shooting Training in Texas?

Can anyone give me a referal to a good Tactical Shooting Training center in Texas near Dallas?
Old October 17, 2004, 06:40 PM   #2
cxm

The best in the area is Robert Duhon at Texas Pistol Academy.

He has a web site for info. http://www.texaspistol.com/

He has a nice facility about 30 min north of Dallas... and he is an excellent instructor as well.

His prices are reasonable too.

Give him a try... I have taken several courses from him and have not been disappointed... and I have been to most of the major schools and a lot of little ones too.

/r

Chuck
Old October 19, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3
CzarShel

That looks like a good place an not a very far drive, it seems their are fewer and fewer places to go shooting in such a big state like Texas the Winchester range over on Luna Rd. doesn't allow what they call "Military Style" guns I don't know what the hell they mean by that or what advantage they get from it.

My biggest disappointment is there is just no place you can drive to out of the city limits and go blast away at soda cans. I firmly believe you cannot learn how to properly handle and shoot a firearm by only shooting holes in a piece of paper indoors.

The last time we tried to go out to a creek bed in the boonies and shoot bottles the swat team showed up and had all of us down on our knees in the gravel with MP5's pointed at our heads. Ridiculous. They even took all our guns, and kept them. They said they had had problems with Meth labs.

I cannot as of yet afford a piece of private land, I'm saving to Marry my girl and buy us a house. I don't think she would want to live on a few acres out of town.
Old October 19, 2004, 03:18 PM   #4
beardking

Well, if anyone has any hints as to a place where you can shoot at things other than just paper targets (and doesn't cost an arm and a leg) then that would be great to know about. The one thing I miss about Oklahoma is knowing that any time I feel like going out and destroying fruit, it was only a 10 or 15 minute drive out of town to a good place to go (of course, I was living in Norman at the time and the game reserve is close by).
Old October 19, 2004, 03:46 PM   #5
CzarShel

I've been trying to find a good place to go for years, If I find one (maby on some private land) I'll welcome everyone from around here to join me in some can, bottle, fruit and other shooting fun.