The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Rmack

WCC Case markings

I have a few handfulls of (what appears to be) .45 ACP brass by WCC. Can anyone tell me what the various headstamps mean?

WCC 92
WCC 95
WCC 98
WCC 1986

Are those formulations, sizes, thicknesses, lot numbers or just years?
Old July 6, 2004, 08:04 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Year of manufacture.
You have to have the ORIGINAL box to read lot number.
And WCC = Western Cartridge Company, a division of Winchester for many years,now.
Old July 6, 2004, 08:11 AM   #3
Rmack

Ah, thanks. So, can I assume that they are all what they appear to be - standard .45 ACP? No special handling requirements?
Old July 6, 2004, 08:31 AM   #4
HSMITH

Yes, load as you would any other military 45 acp brass, lower loads from commercial cases by at least 5% and chronograph.
Old July 6, 2004, 07:14 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Ummm - - Possibly military.

But more probable they're just WWB (Winchester White Box) commercial, especially the ones with the four-digit year. I don't recall when they started this practice. I'd wager that any WCC headstamped much before 1980 was military, though.

Regarding HSMITH's notation regarding pressures - - It is ALWAYS best to err on the side of caution. I load very few handgun cartridges warm enough to worry about slight differences in case capacity, and load all commercial brands AND old military .45 ACP brass with the same charges, depending, of course, on which bullet I am using.

Best,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old July 7, 2004, 09:19 PM   #6
HSMITH

Johnny, I have some WCC 95 and WCC 97 that I KNOW is military without a doubt. I bought it from a squid, who scavenged it off a range during qualification shoots. In that respect I think it is safe for us to assume that into the late 90's true military brass was still headstamped with WCC XX. In the early 90's I was a range officer and small arms instructor in Uncles' yacht club, and all Winchester we got was WCC XX stamped then too. Years on headstamps I recieved that I can remember ranged from 66 to 91. Hanson was more common than Winchester during that time frame though, with Lake City making up a VERY distant third place.

I have LOTS of military 45 brass, lots of which I shot or supervised the shooting of, and I have never seen the 4 digit year on true military brass. I think they must be WWB or some other-than-military contract ammo.

WCC and TZZ military brass are my favorites.
Old July 9, 2004, 12:22 AM   #7
Paul Fitz Jones

WCC brass

When the Navy supply of small arms ammo was requisitioned for Nam and lost there, Navy shooting teams in the Pacific contacted me and swapped me WCC 71 through 79 45 brass for My Star and Saeco reloading and bulletcasting tools. The majority of it came from San Diego and teams on Guam. I tumble cleaned it and my scouts sorted it by years as I felt it was the best brass ever made and with the longest competitive life. I have had shooters ask me for their birth years for luck and one fellow bought 3,000 WCC76. Everyone on his range knew who the brass on the firing line deck belonged to so he always gets it back.

Fitz