The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2002, 07:58 PM   #1
FJC

RCBS X-Dies in .223

Well, my new RCBS X-Dies showed up today. I'm just starting out into reloading .223 (have done plenty of pistol, new to rifle). Unfortunately, the wrong instructions came with the dies. I emailed RCBS, and they are sending out the proper directions - unfortunately, though, they don't have them online anywhere.

So, anyone out there familiar with these dies? I have 1000 cleaned but unsized .223 brass that I'm dying to get started on. My understanding is that prior to using the X sizing die, I'm supposed to trim my cases to some length - if anyone can fill me in on the proper details to get started I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old December 2, 2002, 08:06 PM   #2
TIR

I have one for 243 Win. Yes you do have to trim them to length and I sized mine in a Lee full length sizing die first. Beyond that there are 5 simple steps to setting it up and once it's set just lock the collar and you don't have to reset it again. It really impressed me I have brass that has been fired 12 times and is still well with in oal specs.
Old December 2, 2002, 09:10 PM   #3
KP95DAO

X-Die

I trim my 308 cases to 1.985 and then the next step is to run them up into the sizer with the decapper backed off. This is with the die against the shellholder. Then you turn the decapper down against (snug) the case mouth and lock everything there.

The amount under that you trim is up to you; but, .015 to .020 is plenty.

This is a full length resize die; but, after 10 times my cases have not grown and there is no sign of case head seperation forming. These are fired in a Savage 10FP that has minimum headspace.

Do a search on X-Dies for more.
Old December 2, 2002, 09:41 PM   #4
Cheapo

Anyone know if the X-Die will prevent or delay case separations in 7.62x51 using the M855 (sierra bullet originally "not for combat" load) cases with that funky channelure on the case body?
Old December 2, 2002, 11:11 PM   #5
KP95DAO

Cheapo,

The LC Match case with that "funky canalure" is the basis for my most accurate load. They are sized in the X-die just like my neck turned (the LC cases are perfect as they are) Federal Match cases. No problem with either case after 10 times through the die.
Old December 3, 2002, 07:14 AM   #6
FJC

Thanks for the info - I'll back off that mandrel and just use it as a standard resizing die for the first go-around; then trim them all to .02 under (I'll double check but I believe for .223 that would be 1.74").
Old December 7, 2002, 09:52 AM   #7
Fatelvis

FJC, Let us know how it works for you. I just bought one too, and Im curious to know how everyone likes `em! (So far it sounds like it performs as advertised).