The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2002, 08:46 AM   #1
rballi

Savage 440 O/U 12ga

Anyone have any experience with the Savage 440 O/U? I found one at a pawn shop in decent condition for $375. Any particulars on the gun would help.
Old December 2, 2002, 11:00 AM   #2
gordo b.

If it says "made in Finland" it is a Valmet for Savage. My Valmet is worth 1200 with just its shotgun barrels , a very stout teutonic shotgun.
Old December 2, 2002, 04:39 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Valmets had their praises sung by a lot of owners in days gone by. Strong, well made and versatile, they did a lot of things well, and the rifle bbled versions extended their versatility almost infinitely.

But, I don't know the model numbers and this could be one of the pre-WWII Savages made in the US. Pop had one, and it was deadly in his hands. Stolen in the early 70s, I'd sure like it back.

The key on that model was the part of the forearm iron that showed just forward of the hinge pin was bronze in color, and maybe it was really bronze.

The early Savages were sturdy, but not a high class shotgun, more of a working man's gun.

$375 sounds about right for a non Valmet Savage.

HTH...