The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 28, 2002, 09:16 PM   #1
glock glockler

1187 Options

This gun has my attention right now, but I'm not exactly sure which version to get. They have various models, including a 'Super Magnum" which all look like they'll do the job, but the first thing I'm interested in is social work.

I was thinking about getting a Super Mag with a 28 inch barrel for skeet and maybe bird hunting and then getting a 21 inch barrel for social purposes. Does that seem like a good setup, what's the skinny on these girls?

Thanks

-Samuel Adams

"Give me ten Jesuits and I shall conquer the world"

-Stalin
Old November 28, 2002, 10:50 PM   #2
HSMITH

I have owned 2 of them, and will not own another. Neither of mine were reliable. If the focus is on social occasions buy an 870 IMO. Not fond of the 11-87 at all, I got burned on them.
Old November 29, 2002, 04:42 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's two large groups of 11-87 owners and ex owners. One thinks they're the best thing since indoor plumbing, the other claims no worse auto shotgun was ever made.

QC seems to be very hit or miss in Ilion these days. Since "Serious" shotguns HAVE to be absolutely reliable, I suggest giving these a pass and getting something else.

The older 1100s had their idiosyncracies, but are the better choice, IMO. Also, if I HAD to go to an auto shotgun for "Serious" use and some sporting apps, I'd take a good close look at the new X2 Practical. Heard very little bad about any of the X2s.

HTH....
Old November 29, 2002, 11:17 AM   #4
Matthew Courtney

All of the people I've known to have problems with an 11-87 didn't know how to clean it.
Old November 29, 2002, 01:34 PM   #5
HSMITH

I have had quite a few autoloading shotguns, at least 8 different models that I can think of right off hand. The 11-87 Premier was the worst of all of them if we discount the Winchester 1400 that I bought for $75 and overpaid by a lot. The 11-87SC that I had was OK I guess, but not dead nuts reliable or even close. My 1100 runs quite well, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. You would have to give me an 11-87, and then I would trade it off. I know how to clean and lube a shotgun , a couple hundred thousand rounds downrange will teach a fella that sort of thing.

If I did not have a SuperX2 that runs like a swiss watch I would have a Beretta 390/391.
Old November 29, 2002, 02:59 PM   #6
gordo b.

This makes me feel so much better about spending big$1981 dollars to make my full race 1100. I always felt gypped when 11-87 came out and was billed to be Quantuum leap better.This was in days when you had to get Winchoke installed in remington barrells for a choke tube device!
Old November 29, 2002, 06:09 PM   #7
9mmMike

I like Remingtons but if I were looking at a semi, I'd look at the Beretta 390/391's.
I've not read any bad things about these SG's.
But........for the price, I can buy a couple/few used 870's!
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old November 29, 2002, 06:47 PM   #8
Bullzye

Autoloaders

I have had an 1187 and an 1100, I love the 1100 but I hated and traded the 1187.

BTW My auto of choice is now a Browning Gold Hunter 3.5" 6 months, thousands of rounds, and no problems....all for $799.00
Beretta 96 SS
S&W 65-1, 685
Colt Delta Elite
Etc. Etc.
Old November 29, 2002, 11:49 PM   #9
HSMITH

Bullzye, had one of those too and liked it. If I could have brought myself to knock the glare off it for waterfowl hunting I would still have it. THAT is one shotgun that challenged me at first, but once I figured out what it wanted for lube and where it ran like a top. I put about 7500 rounds through it after I figured it out and did not have one gun induced malfunction, some of my reloads are another story LOL.