The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2002, 12:48 PM   #1
sjones

jams on first try at reloading.

I loaded up 10 shells for my 1st try. I used 1ounce of 71/2 magnum shot,win209 primers,winaa hulls,waa12sl wads,18.5 clays, everything looked okay,so off to the range I went.Well every other one would do the classic stovepipe jam. I shoot a semi auto 12 gauge. The factory shells worked fine. What did I do wrong? thanks. sj
Old November 29, 2002, 01:25 PM   #2
JM at Work

What press?

Anything look strange on the crimp end of the shells?
Old November 29, 2002, 01:36 PM   #3
swifter...

'Twas a 1911, I'd say too soft s load, or limp wristing...

I knoqw zip about shotshell loading, but you might find some help here: http://loadyourown.com/ They have a full shotshell forum.
Tom
Old November 29, 2002, 01:46 PM   #4
HSMITH

The load you list is just a hair low of average pressures for a 12 ga. Try bumping the powder to about 19.2-19.5 and give it another try. 19.8 is the top end according to my data. Your gun likely just wants a little more pressure if the hull was being caught in the ejection port. If it was not a partial ejection jam let us know and we can look at it.
Old November 29, 2002, 04:31 PM   #5
sjones

jams

It looked like the shell was almost getting out,but the slide would catch it just about a 1/4 inch above the brass. The press that I bought is a mec sizemaster. I came back home and loaded some more with green dot:20.5 grains,11/8 shot,win209 primers,and waa12 wads. The crimp looked almost identical to the factory ones. Maybe I just needed a little more powder,they were almost making it out.When I have time I will see what my next reloads do. sj