The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 20, 2002, 10:11 AM   #1
Ranger1

New Ruger 3.75" Fixes/Mods. Advice please...

Hello,
I was fortunate to find a local dealer who allowed me to shoot a new Ruger Vaquero, 3.75" with the Bird's Head grip. I insisted on this since I had seen several friends who purchased new fixed sighted Rugers that shot way off (windage-wise), some as much as 8" at 25 yards. I won't own a fixed sighted pistol that won't shoot POI=POA, windage-wise...

Anyway, with the gun bedded on a rest at about 15 yards, I shot 2 half dollar sized groups with Federal .45 Colt LHP ammo. The POI was less than a inch from my POA so this is the variability in my eyes. Also, ejection was easy. Happily, I bought the gun. I will slug the cylinder to check the diameter, however with this kind of accuracy I am not that concerned.

What I need is advice on removing the considerable travel/creep from the trigger. Can anyone recommend what modifications will help? Perhaps a gunsmith that can do the work? Also, I also have thoughts of changing the front sight to a configuration similar to my duty carry gun, (.45 Govt. Colt with Novak sights) and opening the rear notch up a bit.

Thank you.
Old October 20, 2002, 02:15 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Oglesby & Oglesby in Illinois do really incredible work on Ruger Vaqueros. One mod is an articulated basepin so the basepin can be removed without taking the ejector housing off of the gun.

Oglesby & Oglesby:

(217) 487-7100
SASS #18308
Range Master- The Cherokee Cowboys & The Shootout at Mulecamp
Old November 3, 2002, 10:21 PM   #3
Jim March

There's a BUNCH of options here.

I've got an entire thread going on mods to this series gun:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=57816

One option is the Power Custom hammer/trigger setup. This is basically a matched, fitted, high-end setup that you can drop in yourself, with good instructions included. It's almost $200, BUT you don't have to ship your gun anywhere.
Old November 4, 2002, 07:47 AM   #4
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Thanks , Jim, for that link. Some great info in that thread.
SASS #18308
Range Master- The Cherokee Cowboys & The Shootout at Mulecamp