The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2002, 10:04 AM   #1
ojibweindian

Need compact and portable reloading equipment

I will be getting onto the reloading bandwagon very soon. What I want and need is a complete reloading package that is very portable and takes up a small amount of space so that I can put it in a backpack.

Any suggestions?
Old October 21, 2002, 11:04 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

If it's for one caliber get a "Lee Loader" in that caliber. All you need is the small box it comes in a hammer and your components.
Old October 21, 2002, 11:13 AM   #3
Dave P

ojib, are you gonna carry primers and powder and bullets in that backpack, too??
Old October 21, 2002, 11:37 AM   #4
ojibweindian

Southla, it's for one caliber, 8x57 to be precise. The Lee Loader and a hammer? Won't using a hammer potentially cause a cartridge to go off at some point during the reloading process?
Old October 21, 2002, 01:20 PM   #5
Bogie

I'm guessing that it's a bolt rifle, right?

Look over at benchrest.com, and ask about Wilson hand dies.

Use a Lee handheld priming tool.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 21, 2002, 02:04 PM   #6
ojibweindian

Bogie, it's a Yugo M48A. Good guess.

Was cruising around Midway's site and happened upon a Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit. It appears to meet my requirements. Portable and small enough to throw in a bag and scram, if need be.

Now, what I need is a set of dies.
Old October 21, 2002, 02:47 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

"The Lee Loader and a hammer?"

You need a hammer to de-prime, seat the new primer and to resize the case with the Lee..................they have been around for at least 40 years and are caliber specific. Every now and them a primer will go off while seating it but it's contained. Wear safety glasses while doing it.

I started reloading with this kit in 1963.............my old man did get aggravated at me and made me do it in the yard because of the constant hammering in the house. (and every now and then a POW!) It even has a powder scoop included that will be less than a maximum load as long as you follow the instructions...........that way you do not have to worry about weighing powder. Now it does not full length size..............it only neck sizes but for the same rifle and a bolt gun that should be no problem.

I still use this kit to de-prime 30-06 military crimped in primers or to load a few rounds if it's just a few that I want to load. I have a double faced plastic hammer I use but any one will do in a pinch.