The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2002, 09:59 AM   #1
Poodleshooter

Odd case resizing problem w/ 7mmRM

I've got several primed 7mm brass that I could have sworn that I sized.... Anyway, I'm using a redding die set with a removable decapping stem/expander. Can I remove the stem and re-resize the cases? I tried this with an extra 7mm case last night. It sized fine, and chambers fine in my Abolt. I tried it with one of the primed batch of 30rds, and it will not chamber, even though the die is set to the normal setting that usually allows chambering in my rifle! I've checked the outside width of the neck and the OAL after trimming-both are fine. I kept turning the die in, expecting that the shoulder still wasn't set back far enough (forgetting the whole belt issue). I had the die turned in quite a bit, and it still wouldn't chamber! Eventually I checked the test case, and discovered that the die had actually cut into the case wall, raising a tiny ridge of shaved brass 1/16" above the common "stretch" area of a belted magnum case, right above the belt.
This is very odd, as I've always been able to use the same die setting for resizing purposes...
Any ideas? I'm about to junk this brass, as it does have a suspicious feeling of excessive stretch over the belt, though I can't find anything with an internal check (the bent paper clip).
Should I junk the brass?
Should I resize them without the decapper or with the rod screwed back out so that it doesn't touch the primer?
thanks,
Poodle
Old October 11, 2002, 04:31 PM   #2
kurt IA.

Is this brass some that you shot in your gun? Or some someone gave you? Sounds like it was shot in an oversized chamber, or belled chamber.
Old October 11, 2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

I'm not sure where I got these from. I have a lot of 100 that I bought and have used extensively, and 20rds of Federal brass that I actually bought as loaded ammo (unusual for me), then this batch of unknown origin
Old October 12, 2002, 09:10 AM   #4
KP95DAO

Just remove the decapping pin from the expander assembly and resize.
Old October 12, 2002, 09:35 AM   #5
Ben Shepherd

Unknown origin? Not sitting next to my cheek!!!!

Especially in something with that much pressure to it.

Junk that brass, you sight is worth more that that.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old October 13, 2002, 02:13 PM   #6
Poodleshooter

Unknown origin works fine, so long as you inspect everything thoroughly. If it's clean and shiny, I'll scrounge it. This was a new problem for me. After some in-depth case measuring, I've discovered that about 1/2 of these cases suffer from a bulge above the belt. It's actually impossible to size them down to the level of the belt, as the die starts shaving brass, then stops with the belt outside of the bottom of the die. The cases extract from the die with a bright ring on the exterior, terminating in a ridge of brass shaved by the die. I ended up discarding about 15 of them. The other 15 were fine, and re-sized perfectly. It seems odd to find cases with an external bulge, but no internal "ring" indicating pressure problems. My guess is that they may have been fired in a weapon with excessive headspace as Kurt mentioned.