The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2002, 11:46 AM   #1
GlockPower

Mossberg vs. 870 express

Between a 870 Express and a Mossberg 500 (the kind you buy at the show, with heat shield, and pistol grip) which is better?

I've had the mossberg before as well as a 870. Btw, what are some good websites for moding a 870 and a Mossberg?

Or is the Moss 590 that much better than the 500.
Old October 6, 2002, 12:22 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

Well, First off, I'd ditch the heatshield and pistol grip and get a conventional stock. the mossberg safety just flat out doesn't work on a non conventional one. if you're going to be using it as a surface to surface shotgun, put the mossberg ghost ring sights on it, a butt cuff, and call it good.

Unless you're left handed, a mossberg is just as good as an 870.

if you are left handes, a properly set up mossberg becomes the kind of all shotguns, since the safety is in a good place.

instead of burning up your money on modding your weapons, why don't you spend it on ammo and shoot them?
Old October 6, 2002, 12:40 PM   #3
eap

what he said, except for mossberg being as good as an 870. i had a mossberg, it didn't come apart as easily and it felt cheap and sloppy.

if you search, many people will attest to the 870's reliability and durability.

if it's for home defense get a light(surefire forend) and extension, you don't need any other crap hanging off it. my .02, YMMV.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:46 PM   #4
GlockPower

I like the looks of the Mossberg 590, with the ghost rings, I'd like one with the heat shield, and a pistol grip as well as a full stock. I like the Bennelli pistol grip and full stock combo. Maybe a surefire weaponlight as well. Just a good tactical sg.

I don't think I'll ever shoot the 30k rounds through it to make it malfunction, so I should be ok.

When I had a Mossberg 500, I liked it because after 100 rounds the barrel was HOT and the heat shield kept it from burning me, whereas on the 870 i'd get burnt every time...
Old October 6, 2002, 02:38 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 870's a better weapon. This isn't a slur on the 500-590, they're good also if not quite as durable and adaptable.

Don't accessorize until you've run many shells through your shotgun of choice. After a few flats of ammo, you'll have a better idea of what will aid and what merely removes money from your wallet with a soft sucking sound....
Old October 6, 2002, 07:08 PM   #6
HSMITH

The 870 is far and away a better weapon if abuse and/or extended use is possible. I am not guessing on this, I was an armorer in the military and during my tour the 870 was phased out and the 590 and then the 590A1 was coming in. I can break a Mossy in less than 25 strokes with the 500 mossy giving up in less than 5 strokes usually (please bear in mind that what I do to accomplish this is pure and simple abuse aimed at breaking the weapon) and cannot break the 870 in one session. The 870 WILL have the same failure from the same abuse, but will take over 100 cycles to do it. The Mossy is a GOOD shotgun!!! It is a solid gun in 99.9% of uses, but it is not better or equal to an 870.

The heat shields do work, and do not cause any problems. If you shoot a lot get one, well worth it. As far as pistolgrips go they only have one place, and that is on a folding stock gun. Folding stocks are only suitable for CQB/entry guns IMO. On fixed stock guns pistolgrips front and/or rear are cumbersome and accentuate recoil IMO. Speed on target suffers for me with a pistolgrip, and I have many thousands of rounds with them on.

Stay very light on accessories, VERY few are beneficial. The sock on the stock for shells is THE WORST ever on a defensive gun. Say your cover provides well for left handed shooting and you are righthanded, the shell sock prevents you from firing the shotgun left handed if on the weapon. You are either exposed to shoot, or get your face mangled and miss with the sock on. If you need extra ammo ON the gun do it on the sling or on a sidesaddle. If you are serious about using your shotgun for defense you shoot at least 25% of your practice with your off hand and one armed right? If you add anything make it an extended magazine tube and quality synthetic stock and forend.

Just my honest opinions from my experiences, hope it helps.
Old October 6, 2002, 07:38 PM   #7
GlockPower

Thanks for that long post. Great Info! I'll keep my 870

So here is my next set of questions:

1. I'd like to make it have a synthetic stock and forearm, how much are original Remington parts? And where to buy from?

2. Extention tube for magazine, how much and from where? Aftermarket ok?

3. Sling? Should I tap the stock, or wait for the black synthetic, will that have the sling hooks?

4. Website geared for 870 parts and accessories? Including heat shield.

Thanks for all the great info.
Old October 6, 2002, 09:23 PM   #8
RobertEsq1

You might want to check out the Remingtom Steal Package at the wilson combat site. I had it done to a 25 y/o 870 which came back as new defense weapon. I was very pleased.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sgt/remingtion_steal.htm
Old October 6, 2002, 11:57 PM   #9
swatman

Where I work, we have to qualify with an 870 express, at the same time, I own a mossberg 500 for a back up to a handgun for HD.
Both seem to hold pretty much same type of pattern with #4 buck which is what we use on duty. I also see that they patter about the same with 00 Buck. As far as reliability, I find both about the same, although I would imagine the 870 express has a slight edge on the mossy.
I would avoid a pistol grip on ANY shotgun, they look neat, but in reality I have seen nothing that shows they have any real tactical value.
Old October 8, 2002, 05:21 PM   #10
eap

cheapest i found on the stock if you want factory is hoosiergunworks.

if you want a speedfeed, brownells has the speedfeed solid stock(s) for around $35. set up an acct for trade discount. you will find all factory parts there too.

wouldn't do the sling, unless you're going to be running through the woods or city shooting at people.