The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2002, 07:28 PM   #1
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

30-06 cases

Just a bit of information about loads and safety with max loads. I wanted to try some Sierra 168 grain Match Kings for use in a bolt rifle. I had some IMR-4350 that is about 25 years old and I wanted to use it up. The max load in Hornady II is 56.1 grains, in Hornady III it is listed as 57.6 and in my 5 year old Hodgdon it's listed at 57.0 grains. A different rifle was used for Hornady II and III.

I made up 3 test rounds loaded with 53, 54, 55, 56, and 57 grains and begin firing with the 53's in my 03A3. Cases were RP twice fired and full length sized, and trimmed. Primers were WLRP's. Charges were thrown light and trickled up to the desired weight.

No real pressure changes were noticed. I settled for 56 grains. Will report later on velocity and accuracy! The cases that show a burnished mard had slight dents on the rim caused by firing in my M-1. By the way the primers were not cratered though some look this way because of the light............still got to figure out the macro on my digital so I can get a closer shot.

Here is the pic of the case heads Lowest charge to the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ough tsix2.jpg (61.3 KB, 109 views)
Old September 30, 2002, 07:32 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Another pic and angle lowest charges to the left like first pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ought six1.jpg (62.2 KB, 81 views)
Old September 30, 2002, 10:41 PM   #3
Gewehr98

You ran IMR4350...

In your M1 Garand?

Neural Misfires
Old October 1, 2002, 12:18 AM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

The cases were bought originally as unprimed brass. The first 2 loadings were 147 GR. FMJ over 47 Grains of non canister IMR-4895 in the Garand. These were fired and will be fired in my 03A3.

IMR-4350 is a kinda slow powder for the Garand..................

This load would be known as an op rod bending SOB LOL.

The extractor bent the rims slightly when the original loads were fired in the M-1, that's why 2 of the cases had the rim burnished.
Old October 1, 2002, 11:01 AM   #5
john kilgore

The other guys are right !!! Stop, don't shoot any more of these through your GARAND !!!

48-50gr of IMR4064 is as good as it gets in the Garand, but you'll bend that op-rod in a hurry with the 4350. That load you're shooting -56.5grs of IMR-4350 will shoot one-hole groups in my bolt action '06, but the port pressure on the Garand is way above nominal levels with this slow burning powder. Shoot in or give away that ammo to someone who has a bolt action, stick with 4895, 4064 or AA-2520 in that Garand.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:49 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!! READ my first post and show me where I said that I fired the 4350 loads in my M1.

I said and I quote "I made up 3 test rounds loaded with 53, 54, 55, 56, and 57 grains and begin firing with the 53's in my 03A3"

The mention of the M1 was that the CASES were previously fired in it.

In my SECOND post and I quote "The CASES were bought originally as unprimed brass. The first 2 loadings were 147 GR. FMJ over 47 Grains of non canister IMR-4895 in the Garand.

Not to offend, but with reading like that I see now how rifles get blown up when folks read reloading manuals.
Old October 3, 2002, 09:41 PM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

Easy on, now - - - -

I'd noticed a couple of things in Southla1's initial post - - -
First, He mentioned "bolt rifle," the type bullet, and "max load."
Second, that the max load he lists is two full grains below max shown for the Speer 168 HPBT Match in my Speed book, and a full grain below what I normally load for my bolt guns.
Also, that he at least began shooting the lightest loads of his series in an 03A3.

When people started mentioning shooting the loads in a Garand, I went back to see if I missed something. Then, Southla1 said that such a load in a Garand would be an op rod bender. Seemed to me that he was pretty aware of potential problems with IMR 4350 in an M1.

A gentle reminder to other members on matters of safety is always in order, of course.

Best,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old October 7, 2002, 02:06 AM   #8
john kilgore

I re-read the post too, said he shot the 53's in O3-A3, and then stated that cases with dented rims were shot in Garand. It looked both times I read it like he was saying he shot the reloads in the Garand.
Been confused before though !!!
Old October 7, 2002, 09:16 AM   #9
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I will take the blame for it.................guess I should have worded it better , or just not mentioned what the cases had been used for before.