The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 4, 2002, 01:34 PM   #1
Greywolf

How do I choose a Harris bipod, and where?

I just purchased a Winchester M70 Stealth with HS Precision stock. How do I go about choosing the right Harris bipod for it, and where would be a good place to do this?

Also, are there other, better bipods out there to choose from?
Old October 4, 2002, 05:32 PM   #2
dakotasin

i have a harris, and i really like it...is there others? yes. better? i don't know...hard to improve upon that good of a thing...

how to pick one...what kind of a position will you be in for the bulk of your shooting? how tall are you? what kind of terrain?

if you are average height or taller, and do a lot of your shooting from a seated position, shoot downhills (i.e. perched on a knoll in a dog town and are shooting downwards into the town), or hhave weeds/grass to clear, choose their tallest model (25c, i think?).

if you expect to do a lot of prone shooting, or shooting from a bench, their shortest model will probably work best.

best way to find out...grab a friend's rifle that has a bipod on it and try it out in actual field positions. i thought harris' 2nd tallest model was the one i wanted, until i went out on a dog town w/ it... not comfortable for me at all...just too short.
Old October 4, 2002, 08:14 PM   #3
Legionnaire

Depending on your application, get either a "bench" or "low" swivel model with pod-loc. Order from Terry Cross. See info at:
http://www.snipersparadise.com/vendors/KMW/KMW.htm
Old October 4, 2002, 09:10 PM   #4
Freedom in theSkies

I have them in stock in my shop for $93.95 .
Model L with Swivel feature.
You can e-mail me if you want one.

I use one myself and they're absolutely great!
Old October 5, 2002, 07:02 AM   #5
JIH

If yuo're going to get one, get one with a swivel feature and with the adjustable stops on the legs. They're sturdy.

If you want a lower cost solution, VersaPods are pretty good, though Harris is better. If it's $20-40 better depends on you.

How much will you use the bipod and what will you use it for? If it's just to have and only use on the few instances you might go prone... save a little money and get a Versa. If you'll be using it often, the Harris might be worth the $$$.
Old October 5, 2002, 07:15 AM   #6
Greywolf

Thanks, guys - gonna start off with a Versa, and see what happens. Push comes to shove I'll put it on another rifle and get a Harris.
Old October 6, 2002, 10:39 AM   #7
El Rojo

Why start with a Versa and then have to get a Harris? With that 20 or 30 bucks you spent on a versa, you could have got that Pod lock feature for your Harris model L(s). Trust me, the Harris Bipods are as good as they get. I have a model L(s) and a Model 25(s). I want at least one more Model L(s)! They are great bipods. I see them fairly cheap at www.natchezss.com and sometimes in this add in Shotgun News. I would have to research that one though.
Old October 6, 2002, 03:41 PM   #8
larryw

What's the difference between Harris' models L and LM (leg notch)? Natchez has the HBSL and HBSLM for $80.

thanks,
LW
Old October 7, 2002, 01:30 AM   #9
El Rojo

The Leg notch has spring pressure that forces the legs to extend. The regular has spring pressure that retracts the legs. Why? I guess if you want to extend the legs in a hurry a little at a time, you would get the leg notch. However, I don't think you can adjust them much other than at the notches. With the regular, you can quickly extend them full length, or you can take the little extra time to adjust them by extending them and tightening the knob to keep them a certain length as they retract. I don't have the leg notch because they were not available when I got mine. Would I get one now? No. Why? I don't know. I like mine the way it is and being of conservative nature, I don't want to take a chance.