The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2002, 09:51 PM   #1
MLC

Need advice on reloading setup.

I am in the process of finally buying a reloading press and necessary equipment. Going the rock chucker route and have a couple of questions:
I have a ton of once fired brass for my rifles, can I just clean em, deprime em and load them up? Are they what is considered to be fire formed to the chamber of my rifle? As long as they still are within spec for the case length etc.

I have a remington 700 LTR, What is the heaviest bullet I can shoot accurately with the 1:12" twist(I think?)? I was going to buy 175's for longer range,target only.

I also have a Kimber/Mauser in 7mm Mag any recommendations for accurate loads?

Is a "match" bullet truly necessary for precision shooting?
I've seen reference to the 155 grain Palma bullet being excellent.
Thoughts?

Guess that's enough for now.
TIA
Old September 8, 2002, 01:38 AM   #2
Cain R

I'll tackle the easiest one.

Military brass usually has crimped primers which must be removed prior to priming.

Get a primer swedge, see "New Press Today" for info on that, or like I do until the swedge's arrive, chuck the brass in a cordless drill (the battery acts like a stand so you can just use your trigger finger to run the trigger) and ream it out with a RCBS reamer tool, works fast and is cheap and simple. Providing of course you have a cordless drill.

I've found that "Match Bullets" aren't ALWAYS more accurate, although they can be, in some rifles, while in others they are not.

As for sizing, size them just enough so they will chamber in your rifle but not so much as to set the shoulders back.

Check the trim length of your brass. I've found they very in different batches of once fired. Probably having something to do with being fired in a MG with headspace problems or chamber cut on the larger size. I like the Lee case length trimmer, once again using the handy cordless drill. Just finnished up 400 5.56 and 600 7.62 case this evening, took about 4 hours, including time reaming out the crimped primer pockets.
Old September 8, 2002, 08:58 AM   #3
Redneck2

Accuracy

if you're looking for accuracy tips, try Varmint Al's website. Has lots of stuff on brass prep

Also get Fred Sinclair's book from Sinclair International
Old September 8, 2002, 11:28 AM   #4
MLC

THANKS

Man I love this place.
Old September 8, 2002, 11:31 AM   #5
Steve Smith

Match bullets have the best chance of being the most accurate, but as Art has said, the Sierra Game Kings can do very well in some rifles.

Bottom line, if you want to get the best in accuracy, expect to pay for good bullets.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old September 8, 2002, 11:35 AM   #6
MLC

I figured they were called match for a reason.
But most of the time generic is just as good, just without the pretty label.