The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2002, 06:49 PM   #1
p3ordie

Reduced powder charge

Hello,
I have been reloading for over a year now and have always stuck to a powder charge that is right in the middle of the recommened high and low amount. My question is: I like the way my 9mm shoots (low recoil) with the 124 & 147 gr. bullets. Is it possible to lower the charge I use for my .40 S&W 165 gr. to have a recoil closer to what I have on the 9mm. My experience is limited in this area. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

p3ordie
Old September 5, 2002, 12:24 PM   #2
buford1

I don`t think so .If you don`t stay close to factory ballistics the slide wont cycle correctly
Old September 5, 2002, 01:10 PM   #3
Blue Duck357

You didn't mention the type of gun you use but some companies make reduced weight recoil springs for this exact purpose. Might want to check into it.

Course I'd try the lightest starting load reccomended first and see if you even need to fool with lighter than normal springs or loads at all.
Old September 6, 2002, 02:48 PM   #4
john kilgore

I have just the load you're looking for !!!
Several years ago I was looking for just what you are. I wanted 9mm recoil and maximum accuracy from my Glock 22 for shooting in NRA ppc matches. I worked around and stumbled across/worked up this load:

Remington 155gr HP (about $78/M from Midway) cheap, but very accruate,

R-P or Win or FED case. Dosen't matter which, but for best accuracy, don't mix. Don't use Starline intermingled as I have seen pressure excursions and blown cases/blown gun using these with max loads developed with other cases. Brass is very good, but much thicker in head area than others.

Winchester Superfield powder 6.3grs. (use exactly this!)
maximum is 7.5gr. This is minimum load that gave 100% functioning in Glock mod 22 and is most accurate 40 S&W load I have found.
The 180gr. HP may be used with 5.5gr for similar accuracy and function, but has not exhibited the same accuracy as the 155gr. With these light loads, the Glock will exhibit stringing with the 180 gr loads as the gun is unlocking while the bullet is still transiting the barrel.
Recoil is about the same as a "service" load in a 9mm Glock. Many friends/aquaintances have found this to be "the" load for accruacy with the Glocks. One friend that consulted with me shot this load at a "Glock" match. He was disqualified when they found that he had used reloads and was a Bullseye and PPC "High Master" shooter. Needless to say he "cleaned" the matches with this load!
I first tried bullseye, then 231/hp-38, Win Action Pistol, HS-6/Win540, and several others, but could not duplicate the results with this powder/bullet combinations. Most will give stringing and unreliable cycling or greater recoil.
Old September 6, 2002, 04:58 PM   #5
p3ordie

Thanks John, I will give it a try.

p3ordie
Old September 7, 2002, 07:36 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

John

OAL?

Primer?

Any other comments?