The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 15, 2002, 04:14 PM   #1
115grfmj

marlin 336 accuracy

Iv'e been thinking about getting one in either 35rem or 30/30
Cant decide yet but I was wondering what kind of accuracy everyone gets with theirs. I will be putting a scope on it (I know
they dont look right with a scope, but my vision is not good enuff
for iron sites at 100+ yards) Also whats your opinion about the 35rem I know it loses it energy faster and trajectory sinks faster than the 30/30 but it just seems to me that the heavier 35 would pack more punch. I know also that the new winchester power point plus in 30/30 produces 1100 fpe at 200yds, can the 35rem still be justified????
Old August 15, 2002, 06:57 PM   #2
pappa

Marlin 336

Well, you have chosen one really fine rifle. Mine is extremely accurate. While mine is in .35 Remington, I might advise you getting the "thutty thutty" instead.
Reasons would depend how you hunt, and where.
Be practical about how far you are going to shoot, and then compare the trajectories between the two. See what bullet weight choices there are in non-pointed bullets. Since the magazine feed is in-line, you'll have to stick to RN bullets, probably only the 200g in the .35.
I bought mine when I only hunted thick woods. Since then, I have done some hunting in cut-over areas with 300-400 yard shots available. Too long, in my opinion for the .35's drop.
I'm not sure, but isn't someone putting out a "hot" load (Federal Hi-Shok, Hornady, etc) in the 30-30? Cost is higher on these extra-power loads, but they could be an option. Due to newer powders, higher velocities are attained with little or no increase in chamber pressure. I've thought about getting a box or two for my 7x57.
I think you will have a lot more choices in ammunition with the 30-30. Either one will do the job when it hits.
Old August 15, 2002, 07:11 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The Marlins are surprisingly accurate. Like an idiot, I sold one that was a consistant 1.5 inch gun. (3 shot groups)

Mac Macpherson at Precision Shooting has several tips and techniques that he's worked out. He has reported sub 2 inch groups with regularity from a variety of Marlin lever guns.
Old August 15, 2002, 07:17 PM   #4
dakotasin

my marlin 336 is in 30-30. being open-sighted, and 'only a 30-30', i expected nothing as far as accuracy goes...was i surprised when i started grouping it at 100 yards and got consistent 2" groups (remember, open sights).

i let my brother shoot it, and he embarassed me by delivering several consecutive groups that went between 1" and 1.5". the rifle is amazing.

i use my rifle for hunting where shots are expected to be less than 50 yards, perhaps on running deer.

as far as 200 yard shots...i'm sure there are plenty who have done it, and will do it again. i don't...i have too many perfectly good bolt guns capable of producing more power and better accuracy to feel compelled to stretch a 30-30 that far.
Old August 15, 2002, 07:46 PM   #5
BluRidgDav

My first deer rifle was a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. It accounted for a couple of deer with factory loads. Then & now, there's only really one: WIN, REM, FED all with 200 rnsp. Good bullet though. No complaints (from the deer.) Can't comment on the accuracy, (obviously minute-of-deer), I was just a kid, and not yet very experienced with shooting deer rifles. Funny thing happened when I tried reloading for it though. All my reloads required two hammer strikes. (cock, squeeze, click, recock, squeeze, BANG). Because the .35 is a rimless case, it headspaces on it's shoulder, only there's not much of a shoulder on the .35 REM, so beware when full-length resizing.

I picked up another older 336 a couple of years ago, this time in .30-30 caliber, which headspaces on the rim. Accuracy is great for a lever gun, <2" for 3 shots @ 100yds using peep sights. Lots of loads to choose from: 125, 150 (Power Point Plus), 170, (Nosler Partitions), even 55 grain accelerators, and they're available in every hardware store and gas station from South America to Alaska. Go with the .30-30.
Old August 15, 2002, 09:39 PM   #6
Mike Davies

I just bought a used Marlin 336 in very nice condition yesterday for $250 Canadian, or about $US155. It's a .30-30, and I'm really looking forward to shooting it at the range. I've heard that this rifle really excels with Remington 170gr Core-Lokt cartridges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marlin 336.jpg (88.3 KB, 174 views)
Old August 16, 2002, 10:49 AM   #7
treeprof

My cheap-scoped (bought it used that way) Marlin 336 LTS (a 16" barrel ltd. edition) will shoot <1.5" @ 100 yds with 170 gr. Win Silvertips and Powerpoints. I was both surprised and pleased.
Old August 16, 2002, 01:05 PM   #8
CZ Gunner

I have a 336 that received in trade many years ago (for an hours worth of work). It rode around in the back of my pickup (in a gun sock), set in my closet through two apartment, lived in 5 states, 4 Navy Bases, 3 kids, etc... (Had nearly forgotten it was there.)

Took it to range after nearly 10 years of non-use .. first shot at 50 yards (scoped) was perfect 10-ring shot. Next four were touching 10-ring ... put it into my safe. She lives there now. Enough said!

Gunner

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD
Old August 16, 2002, 03:18 PM   #9
MrMurphy

I've got a Marlin 30A (low cost 336) and with the 4X-fixed Weaver it came with (older one, pre-crossbutton-safety) off a backpack on a bench at 100 yards, after getting it zeroed (it was off to the left an inch) with 150-grain Core-Lokts I was getting 1.75"-2" groups. I could probably do better, but with the crappy rest and wind, I was surprised I did that well. Kneeling/sitting kept the groups at about 2.5".
Old August 16, 2002, 03:20 PM   #10
MrMurphy

115g, I'd recommend an AO Scout Scope rail (well worth it!) and a 2X scope. 4X is overkill at 100 yards, I will be replacing my 4X with that setup (and AO Ghost Ring sights) in the future when my budget allows it. 2X gives good vision yet good peripheral vision, and is fast into action.
Old August 16, 2002, 03:31 PM   #11
Noban

I have a Marlin Model 3000, which is a 336 built for a large chain store (Wal Mart, K Mart) with a gold trigger, gold bead site and no checkering. I'm able to get a 2" 5-shot group at 100 yds from a sand bag with 170 grainers. Very smooth action compared to a Winchester 94. For optics, I recommend going with the Lyman tang sight ($69) in lieu of a cheap scope.

Noban
Old August 16, 2002, 07:04 PM   #12
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

My first big game rifle was a Marlin 336 with the straight stock in 30-30. I only used 170gr bullets in it, as this was the rifle I took to elk camp.

I drew down on my first doe with that trusty rifle, which at that time sported a weaver 1.5-4.5 variable scope. I remember trying to "grow horns" on that doe for the better part of a minute.

That rifle belongs to my Brother now (it was origianlly his) but often goes to elk camp as a back up rifle or as a "Loaner" to one of my younger relatives.

After 20+ years it still shoots a nice 2 inch group off the bench. I still sight it in for 200 yards to this day. Now it has a 2-7 power scope on it, and has been used to hunt everything from antelope to black bear, mule deer and of course, elk.

Know anyone else crazy enough to use a 30-30 on an antelope hunt??
Old August 16, 2002, 07:32 PM   #13
Mannlicher

when my eyes started going, I switched my Marlin sights to a Lyman side mounted reciever sight. Best move I ever made.

My 336 has been rechambered to .30/30 Ackley Improved. It will, of course, shoot factory ammo, as will all AI cartridges, but it really moves along when fed the hand loaded AI cartridges. Pushing a 150 grain over 2500 fps is childs play. I usually load one Sierra Game king first, and follow it up with WW silvertips.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 16, 2002, 09:00 PM   #14
MeekAndMild

Last year I dug my 336 .35 rem out of mothballs to go deer hunting and got 2 deer with one shot each, the longest shot I forget exactly, was about 110-120 yards. That shot was an inch or two off my aim point. The other one was at about 80 yards and a close hit as well.

At 100 yard targets the first shot is usually the closest to aim point but the second shot is still close. It needs to cool down for several minutes afterwards. It is not a gun which will digest a box of ammo in 3 minutes and stay in the x ring but hits will stay on a pie plate when it gets warm.

It will bore a hole big enough to stick a broomstick all the way through a deer, bones and all, a straight line. Weird. You could probably shoot the same deer through a 4 inch pine sapling and get a kill.

It has shoot through scope rings and I used to point-shoot it at armadillo running (well trotting maybe).
Old August 16, 2002, 10:56 PM   #15
CAH
Retired Screen Name

Accuracy with my 336CS in 30-30 win. has been more than acceptable. "It will do if you will do" .

Regards,
Clay
Old August 30, 2002, 10:20 PM   #16
Ironbarr

CAH...

Any idea what the "S" in 336CS relates to?
Old August 31, 2002, 08:08 AM   #17
BluRidgDav

The "S" stands for Safety.
All the models that existed before "lawyer buttons", had an "S" added to their model designation.
336C became 336CS, 1895S became 1895SS, etc.
New models, that were introduced after "cross bolt safeties" became standard equipment, don't have an "S", but they have the safeties nonetheless.
Old August 31, 2002, 08:22 AM   #18
Ironbarr

Blu...

Thanks for that.

I have a 336CS I got in 1985 for my one and only deer hunt. According to serial # methods (I'm told), it was born in '83. Aside from an indoor range shoot a couple months ago, it hasn't been fired since that deer hunt (where I ran eight or ten rounds in practice but not in "hunt"). Even so, I still have some of the original Federal ammo. It has walnut and all.

Thanks again.

-Andy
Old August 31, 2002, 09:28 AM   #19
ronin308

One fun thing to do with your 336- In the off season hunt groundhogs to practice your field shooting. Most people have a dedicated varmint rig, which is fine, but its dang good fun to hunt varmints with your deer rifle.
Old August 31, 2002, 04:54 PM   #20
Eagleye2

I have owned an older Marlin 336 A [24" M-G barrel, 2/3 magazine] for many years. I originally had a Williams receiver sight on it, but later acquired a K3 Weaver in some trading, so mounted it. This rifle is surprisingly accurate. It shoots the 150 Sierra RN into about 1.25", with the odd group [3 shots] going 1.5". It really shines with the 170 Hornady though, most often staying right around 1" I load 3031 or W748 behind both bullets with similar results. Regards, Eagleye.