The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2002, 05:49 PM   #1
old_yout

Changing the color on a leather holster?

Is there a good way to change a brown leather holster to black? I considered Kiwi or some such product but am afraid that it will eventually (or immediately) rub off on my clothing. The leather is a bit on the old side and looks like this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...p?Item=4840043

Any thoughts?
Old August 26, 2002, 06:23 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Leather dye will do the trick. Since it's an older holster and might be oil soaked, water-based dye might not work well.
I'd recommend oil-based Feibing's leather dye.
Some of the Fiebing's black dyes sold in shoe shops, don't work too well on holster leather, leaving the leather with a strange metallic looking finish called "bronzing".

I'd recommend ordering a bottle of black Fiebing's dye from an on-line leather supplier like Tandy.
Old August 26, 2002, 07:25 PM   #3
HSGI

DYing leather

Dfariswheel ,
I agree with you on this totally . But to also use some acetone on a rag to wash / wipe any foreign material off the leather , let dry then dye . Do not stretch the leather in anyway .
Feibing Professional Oil dye is what I use . Not the enviromentaly safe / water-base dye . Using a wool dauber and apply several coats if needed . Let totally dry , wipe , and use a sealer on the leather afterwards . You may get a finish that seems un-even , but do not worry . A finish will take care of this . For a shiny finish use Acrylic Resolene . It's water base and apply with a damp spongue . Then use a leather conditioner on it after all finished are dry . The AR and LC should seal most of the dye from rubbing off , but wear it along with some older clothes for a day to just make sure it does not rub off .

I dyed my wifes seat on the saddle . She did not want to waite till the dye cured . To say , her rear-end was a bright site to look at for awhile ! LOL