The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 29, 2000, 06:23 AM   #1
trigger45

which is better, rifled or smooth.
what is the max range for accuracy? 100' 150'?
does any body use it at all any more?
thanks
Old June 29, 2000, 08:48 AM   #2
PJR

I've found rifled barrels that are fixed to the receiver to be the most accurate. Next are rifled barrels that are not fixed followed by smoothbores. Use sabots in rifled barrels and rifled slugs in smoothbores. 150 yards would be the very outer limit for a rifled barrel and 100 for a smoothbore.
Old June 29, 2000, 10:16 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It depends on how accuracy is defined,Trig.
I can keep my rifled choke tube,peep sighted 870 on a 6 inch spot at 50 yards under field conditions, 2 1/2-3" from a benchreat.So on a stationary deer, I could take a 100 yard shot with a good expectation of a good hit and short bloodtrail.Trouble is,concern for a humane,swift death means getting closer than that.

But there's lots of variants. Expertise, conditions, adrenaline, and the potential accuracy of the weapon and ammo are some of the factors.

Rifled bbls,everything else being equal, tend to be more accurate with proper ammo, usually the sabot loads. Downside,deer leave longer blood trails than with the Forster type slugs or the Brennekes.

Smoothbores tend to be less accurate, but accurate enough at realistic hunting ranges in the East.

Maybe 15 or 20 of the deer I've taken have fallen to slugs. The farthest was perhaps 60 yards away.

There's lots of old threads about this, IMO a little research can answer your queries.
Old June 29, 2000, 10:53 AM   #4
KilgorII

My 870 with the 20" rifle sighted smoothbore will do about 4" at 100 yards from a rest. That's plenty for me. Though my last deer was taken with 00 buckshot at 35 yards. He was down immedialty.