The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2000, 09:41 PM   #1
Maka

I would like to get some recomendations for a recoil pad for a Remington 1100 20ga. Mostly shooting clays with ocassional dove hunting. Would like something that will go on with the minimal amount of fuss, but not just a slip on. Should I get a prefit one or get one that needs fitting and triming?
Thanks
Tony
Old June 10, 2000, 08:32 AM   #2
PJR

Kick-eez pads are about the best on the market but they need to be properly fitted. I've found the "pre-fits" often don't fit precisely.
Old June 10, 2000, 11:16 AM   #3
K80Geoff

I second the nomination for Kick eze pads. they are worth the trouble of having them fitted by a competent gunsmith.

Geoff Ross
Old June 11, 2000, 08:31 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I strongly recommend getting one fitted, to both the 1100 and thee. Since it needs to be done anyway, go ahead and do it right. Get a smith that understands shotgun fit and have that stock done just the right length for YOU. And, depending on your build, the smith can also add or subtract a little pitch to make shooting a bit mo' comfortable...

And this doesn't have to break the bank. A decent Pachmayr pad fitted to the weapon will run less than dinner for two at a mediocre restaurant.
Old June 12, 2000, 10:44 AM   #5
Maka

Out of curiosity how much are you guys paying for a fitted recoil pad. I was quoted about $75 installed, $45 of it is labor.
Another question while I have you attention, on the same Remington 1100. How often or how do you know if it is time to change the piston or o-ring on the gun.
Old June 12, 2000, 12:39 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

That price sounds about right,Maka. As for the O ring,it's not expensive, so if you don't know the mileage,pop in a new one.

I've little experience with semi autos, but if the hullls are getting sent farther and farther on ejection, it's time for some replacement parts...
Old June 12, 2000, 02:39 PM   #7
Maka

What about the piston?
What is actually happening if the shells are going farther? Wouldn't that mean the action is opening faster or with more force? Wouldn't that mean the o-ring and piston are sealing better? This is the first auto shotgun for me, so I need a little educating.
Thanks
Tony
Old June 12, 2000, 03:49 PM   #8
cjb

We install Decellerators for $45.00 pad n' all. But all gunsmiths are different. I replace the O ring in my guns every year. But I shoot clays with them ALOT! I replaced the piston in all 3 guns last year, and will probably do the same next year. I agree that since you don't know how many rounds you have shot, It won't hurt to replace them. Besides, Remington has updated the piston system a few times over the years, if you have a older gun, you will probably want the new system. It is supposed to be more reliable. But I have never had any problems with my 1100's. JUST KEEP EM CLEAN, AND LUBED. They are great guns!
CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "