The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 20, 2002, 10:03 AM   #1
fatNINJA

FAL Bullpup

Well since no one else seems to make them I've decided to put my engineering skills to the test and build a FAL Bullpup Kit.

Seeing as how this site seems to be packed with firearm knowledge perhaps some of you came help me by answering some technical questions. Here goes.

1. Do all FAL vareints/clones use the same basic stock? That is do they all bolt up in the same position on the receiver?

2. Is there any legal considerations that need to be addressed?
Federal more than state. I live in NC so its pretty much only the federal I need to worry about.

3. Does anyone here have access to a diagram/exploded veiw of a existing Bullpup trigger group? To help make that part easier.

Any comments and suggestions are of course welcomed.
Old August 20, 2002, 10:41 AM   #2
Correia

I've already got one drawn up, but I haven't been able to raise the capital to build an actual prototype. I hope to do so later this year. (In fact I'm currently getting quotes from local machinists) There are a few major challenges to this as you will see once you start looking at it. So I think I can answer your questions.

1. There are 2 main variants. Metric and Inch pattern. The vast majority of the available parts kits out there are Metric pattern. Both patterns share the main locking points. Also keep in mind that there are several variations of receiver available that are slightly different shapes.

2. You need to be over the minimum legal length. But if you start with a standard 21 inch barrel FAL this isn't a problem. If you assemble a FAL from surplus parts and a new receiver you need to make sure that you have at LEAST 6 US manufactured parts. (7 if the barrel is threaded). A list of acceptable US parts is available in several places, including www.tapco.com or www.fnfal.com this is to stay compliant with the ATF rules concerning importation of foreign rifles. Most folks use trigger, hammer, sear, pistol grip, butt stock, handguards, and muzzle brake.

3. Do a search, I asked this same question several months ago. As you will see there isn't a whole lot out there to look at. Also once you start looking at the trigger assembly of the FAL you will pretty much have to redesign your own from scratch if you plan on being able to use very many existing FAL parts. Also keep in mind that you need to design your trigger mechanism so that it is SAFE.

Some points to ponder:

A .308 bullpup will place a 50,000+ psi controlled explosion directly under your cheek. Look at pictures of FALs that have exploded from catastrophic case seperations or overcharged proof rounds. These pictures will convince you real quick that an exploding BP FAL will likely kill or maim the shooter. You absolutley must have a way to contain the receiver and protect the shooters face, also the cocking handle usually flys off of exploding FALs, guess where it is located? This of course will also need to be contained. Even if guns don't blow up that often, from a sales, marketing, and most important liability perspective you must protect the shooter!

My design makes great use of existing parts, but there is one very expensive and complicated part that you will need to get. A PARA bolt carrier. The regular bolt carrier will not work due to the rod extending into the stock. PARA bolts are expensive right now, but there is hope. Some other FAL manufacturers are talking about coming out with some later this year. You can modify existing bolts, but it is a labor intensive pain in the butt.

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions let me know.
Old August 20, 2002, 07:19 PM   #3
JIH

Quote:
A .308 bullpup will place a 50,000+ psi controlled explosion directly under your cheek. Look at pictures of FALs that have exploded from catastrophic case seperations or overcharged proof rounds. These pictures will convince you real quick that an exploding BP FAL will likely kill or maim the shooter
I was gonna say...

Also, Correia is right about the para carrier... wouldn't do to have the rat-tail stab you repeatedly in the shoulder.