The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2002, 10:12 PM   #1
Watchman

Making a trimmer

I've been thinking of making a case trimmer out of a used electric motor. After looking at the Dillion case trimmer, I think I can make one without too much of a problem.

Has anyone ever tried this ?

Any comments or questions ? Let me hear of your expierinces or tips. Anything at all is appreciated.
Old August 13, 2002, 11:27 PM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Some of the trimmers make specific mention that they're not designed to be made "fun" - another word for easier to use = electric motor driven.

'Course maybe I'm tyhinking of progressive presses - 550 destructions makes mention. I'm probablly off-base.

Frankly, I don't see how that'd be a worry long as you do the "manual" part of setting the trim length correctly & do a few checks here 'n there to make sure you're not making .30 carbine cases out of .30-06.

One problem I could envision would be the Tool Time/Home Improvement trimmer .... seems like you'd want to keep the revs down some is all.

Piece o' plywood to fixture the whole shebang on (Or just bolt to the bench), dump the handle/hand crank, fixture motor to the trimmer shaft & off ya go ....

Been meaning to get around to this for 40 years ....
Old August 14, 2002, 02:03 AM   #3
Steve Smith

Here's one:

There are other designs on the market as well.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2002, 08:44 AM   #4
JoeHatley

I've had good luck using a Lee hand trimmer ($5), chucked into a variable speed drill. Works like a charm and is very fast.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old August 14, 2002, 10:55 AM   #5
Sisco

What Joe said.
Old August 14, 2002, 11:09 AM   #6
Bogie

The _best_ trimmer on the market, accuracy-wise, is the Wilson. It is possible to get an adapter for it to power it with a power screwdriver/drill.

It's also remarkably fast to chuck a case into the holder, trim, then knock the case out.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old August 15, 2002, 07:23 AM   #7
Dave P

The Lee trimmer works well like Joe says, you just need to ensure you don't trim too much; you need a depth stop. Sinclair (EJS) has a Quick-Trim tool that you can chuck in your drill press, and indexes from the shoulder of the round. Not all calibers available, tho. ABout $20
Old August 17, 2002, 11:49 PM   #8
Contender

What Joe said.

Chuck the cutter head in a drill press and hold the case in your left hand and use the table as the stop (or a scrap piece of steel plate on the table). DON'T PRESS HARD and run it SLOW.

Regards

George Carlin