The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2000, 01:42 AM   #26
buckskinner

The best thing I've added to my constant gear load (since my Glock .40) is my Motorola radio. My partner who I'm rarely without whether or not it's always the same person, carries my extra radio. Last deer season, the radios were invaluable for getting aid down canyon where I had a buck down and needed frame pack, water etc. Cell phones are usually unreliable at best where I spend my outdoors time. We have a code of clicks on the radio so as not to mess up a shot on the other end, and I know the fastest way to get my partner on the radio is to take a shot or two...These radios are good for up to 5 miles! on flat ground, and are pretty good in the canyons of California and Colorado...

------------------
Treason doth never prosper. What's the reason? For if it doth prosper, none dare call it treason." - John Barrington
Old March 31, 2000, 12:42 AM   #27
Mike Kane

Now I'm in my mid 50's and partially disabled.(Below knee amputee) Running for me would be rather difficult. One thing that no one seemed to mention is using your head. I would find cover first and then warn them that I was armed but that I wasn't looking for trouble. I'd tell them that I didn't care about there grass. I would tell them that I was hunting small game and that I accidentally happened on their patch. I'd toss some game out for them to see. ( I would immediately change location if possible.)I would try to talk my way out first. If that failed then I would hide till night and try to sneak out. And if that failed I would make a stand. But I think that as long as they thought I was no threat to there crop that they might just let me go. Just a thought.
Old March 31, 2000, 08:22 AM   #28
B-1

Minnesota law prohibits anyone in the woods from carrying anything in larger than four shot (I believe) for the shotgun and no centerfire one week prior to and until the end of deer season unless the individual possesses a large game licence. My permit specifically states "not valid while hunting or trapping." (Strange restriction?)

When I walk in the woods during deer season my shotgun (three 00 buck and two slugs on the buttstock) and sidearm are for protection and not hunting.