The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 2, 2002, 09:47 PM   #1
bad_dad_brad

Trying To Conquer Flinching With Archery

I have a problem with anticipation flinching when shooting long and (mostly) hand guns. It is mental and I know it.

To try to get a handle on this, I have taken up target shooting with the bow and arrow using a Matthews Genesis target rig. I find I flinch just before release with the bow also, but I am beginning to get over this and find my gun shooting improving as a result.

Archery is very zen. Form is important. Mental control over the physical is the key.

Anybody else use the bow to improve your gun shooting? I recommend it.
Old August 2, 2002, 10:05 PM   #2
SIGarmed

My archery instructor as a kid was a master archer and he used to have really good solutions when my shooting was bad.
The bow shooting technique was to use a bow finger sling on your hand with the hand holding the bow. I was a lefty. You're not supposed to grasp the bow real tight just hold it in place when you release the arrow and the bow gets held up with the sling so it doesn't drop when you release, but I would always anticipate and grab or throw the arrow off. What my intructor did was put some tacks through a peice of tape and tape it to the front grip of the bow where my fingers would grab it. That way I wouldn't flinch or anticipate. I'd hold it steady each time. It seems kind of cruel but it worked. I don't know if this will help with gun shooting though.
Old August 2, 2002, 10:20 PM   #3
dZ

i find loading your quiver with a couple of blank arrows helps

cool book:
Zen in the Art of Achery
dZ
Old August 2, 2002, 10:34 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

dZ

Old August 3, 2002, 06:38 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

As a kid in college, my very first shot with a handgun went into the "x" ring. Everything after that went wild. Took up archery for a year and then I started hitting black again. It's a great way for practicing follow-up and like yourself, I recommend it highly.
Old August 3, 2002, 03:17 PM   #6
Waitone

Find a place where you can shoot at 4" targets at 75 yards with a handgun.

Works wonders for the flinch. Believe me. Any hint of a flinch at 75 yards will be seen.
Old August 4, 2002, 04:23 PM   #7
bad_dad_brad

Thanks for the tips and heads up on the book. I tried your grip suggestion SIGarmed, and am shooting the bow almost instantly better.
Old August 4, 2002, 04:43 PM   #8
Backwoods

The best thing I found for eliminating my flinch is a flintlock rifle. The damn thing practically MAKES me flinch and once I work past flinching with it, I can shoot any gun better than before. Not only teaches trigger control but demands good follow thru. I should get it out of the safe again and do one of my retraining sessions.

Don in Ohio